× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Certain types of traffic being blocked between Wired and Wireless Connections

mhdavid87
Aspirant

Certain types of traffic being blocked between Wired and Wireless Connections

Hello All,

I am having some issues with my XR500.

Certain types of traffic is being blocked and not working as it should between wired and wireless connections.

For example;

1. RDP (3389) only works between wired connections, it fails between wired and wireless which is extremely annoying.

2. Chromecast fails between wired and wireless connections as well when attempting to stream.

I have tried playing with the port forwarding/port triggering with no luck.

This is really starting to do my head in because it's on the same VLAN.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing it could potentially be the VLAN / Bridge Settings which I had to enable to get my NBN connection working out to the internet.

Any thoughts guys? I really need this resolved.

Thanks,

M

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
mhdavid87
Aspirant

Re: Certain types of traffic being blocked between Wired and Wireless Connections

This also seems to be a common issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Wired-devices-cannot-connect-with-wire...

I should have purchased a router with simple features, this doesn't really make any sense as to why crap is blocked between wired/wireless connections. It is a stupid feature whatever is blocking it.

Message 2 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On the beta version you could try allowing ALL traffic from each of those devices, that should in theory bypass any potential blocks that are occurring
Message 3 of 8
mhdavid87
Aspirant

Where abouts in the interface can I set that?

Message 4 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can download the beta version from here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/td-p/... once upgraded you'll have the Traffic Controller option to try that
Message 5 of 8
mhdavid87
Aspirant

I have literally set everything to allow all traffic, no good mate.

Any other ideas?

This is becoming fairly frustrating for something that should just work.

I think I'll be taking this back for a full refund if I don't have this resolved as soon as possible.

Message 6 of 8
mhdavid87
Aspirant

Ok, so this issue seems to be directly tied into the fact that I need to enable a 'VLAN' tag for my internet to work over PPPoE.

Automatically it selects all Wired and Wireless ports.

Why would this be blocking traffic between my Wired and Wireless connections?

It makes no sense, I am getting to the end of my wits!!!

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try disabling the VLAN that it defaults to, make a new one but don't select any of the ports/WiFi, does that allow you to keep an internet connection and for your devices to communicate with each other?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7