× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cm1200 and xr450 lag spikes

Need1g
Aspirant

Cm1200 and xr450 lag spikes

Hi everyone i just purchase a cm1200 modem and a xr450 router. Figuring maybe i will get a little better ping and wifi in the back yard, instead of spectrums provided modem.
Well speed test checks out but the lag is so terrible im about ready to return everything to netgear.
Any help before i return all of this and am without internet for a bit would be greatly appreciated.
Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 4
Need1g
Aspirant

Update, it seems to be the modem itself. I bypassed the xr450 by using a gigabit switch. Still having the issue
Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the XR450?

Be sure your CM1200 modems FW is updated. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Run a test with pingplotter.com with a wired PC directly connected to the WAN port#1 on the CM modem. See if there is any errors or packet loss. 

How far way is the back hard from the XR router. 

How big is your home? Sq Ft? 

I have a 5000sq ft home and use my XR450 with 2 EX7700 extenders and get great coverage. You may need a extender to use with the XR450 if distance is a factor here. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great questions above, are you using QoS at all as that should eliminate lag that you're having.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7