× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Constant issues with Nighthawk XR500 router

scar1
Tutor

Re: Constant issues with Nighthawk XR500 router

Thanks for sharing.

More reboot joy during my work day. Had to reboot router as devices dropped offline and could not reconnect.

One EX7700 lost connectivity so switched off and was ok just attached to router as I moved closer to it. Now nothing will connect to router and no SSID is being broadcast. Have rebooted several times now and also trying to factory hard reset no joy 😔.

It’s quite astonishing! Another evening playing with the router. How much do these cost again....??
Message 26 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Upgrade the router with the TFTP method and with the firmware I gave you previously, that will upgrade you and should give you access. Then perform a factory reset after you've let it upgrade and hopefully it should all work from then on.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 27 of 31
scar1
Tutor

Upgraded and reset to defaults. all seems to be working. EX7700 mesh extenders still show weak connectivity to the router and this often means poor performance for the attached devices. Although at the same time, my phone has full signal strength connecting to the router at the same position where the wifi mesh extender is located.

Though my trouble shooting I think the issue is more with the mesh extenders connectivity with the router and as they drop connection attached devices to the mesh extender also drop. Its not obvious at the time as they all share the same SSID so it is not obvious from the device that this has happened.

I won't connect the mesh extenders for a few days and see what the performance is like. If it turns out this is the issue, this will still give a problem as the whole point was to get improved coverage in my house.

Ill keep thing thread going with updates... Thanks again for advice and support.

Message 28 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're very welcome, looking forward to hearing from you, hopefully it's a good result on the router front.
Message 29 of 31
scar1
Tutor

Update on my situation.

Further problem determination on the router undertaken, bringing to lowest config, I.e reset to factory settings updated the firmware, now running beta version firmware.

Recap on setup. 1 x XR500, 2 x EX7700 mesh extenders.

I think I had 2 issues;
1 - constantly being asked to rejoin network and password for joining network being incorrect.

2 - regularly loosing internet connectivity despite being connected to the WiFi ok.

I think the firmware updates have helped with #1 issue, not had this issue again on any of apple devices.

#2 issue I think was down to a poor connectivity issues between the router and extenders. The extender would loose connectivity to its host router, but any devices connected to that extender would then not have any internet access. This was difficult to trouble shoot as there is no obvious way or alert that tells you the extender has dropped from its host without physically looking at it and checking the connection led. Also because the SSID is the same it’s not obvious what that device is connected too, the router or the extender.

So I moved my router to a different position, to ensure connectivity was better to one extender, and I tested, no issues all week, I then moved the router back, issues started again. Further investigation appears interference from my TV was impeding my router signal. This in turn made connectivity to devices including extenders drop as described above in #2.

I’ll keep this thread open for now, however if anyone else is having similar issues be sure to check if any other devices could be interfering in anyway.

Since moving the router the quality of services through the house has been much better and able to move rooms and not be booted from meetings etc whilst working.

Thanks
Message 30 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic job troubleshooting that, well done for finding the issue and thank you for posting the solution, I'm sure it will help others in similar situations.
Message 31 of 31
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7