× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet being hacked

Cjw743
Tutor

Internet being hacked

I have the nighthawk xr1000 router with spectrum internet, is it likely that my internet could be hacked and how can I find out if it is or isn't. I ran a virus scan on my Mac and nothing showed up but I don't know how to check my internet to see if its been hacked or anything.

Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's quite unlikely, do you have reason to suspect that you have been or are you just wanting to check? There isn't a definitive way to check really unless you're using Armor for the XR1000 which you may be interested in: https://www.netgear.com/home/services/armor/
Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Why do you think you're being hacked? 

Message 3 of 8
Cjw743
Tutor

I just get paranoid a lot and I my internet speeds are sometimes weird at night but I know it's prob due to congestion but I just want to make sure nothing is get hacked. I don't really have the money to buy netgear amor right now so I don't know any other ways to check. Is there like common issues that I could spot when a router gets hacked?

Message 4 of 8
Cjw743
Tutor

I just get paranoid about things like that

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's very hard to give an answer for that, it depends what kind of thing they're doing and in most cases, symptoms would likely present themselves on devices rather than the router itself. For example, PC appearing to be controlled without your input, viruses, dodgy software being downloaded etc.
Message 6 of 8
Cjw743
Tutor

Well the only thing that's happened was when I was playing this browser game called "basketball gm" and when I was playing it I got redirected to a obvious scam site but it got blocked my MacBook and I ran a virus scan on Malwarebytes but nothing showed up.

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That sounds like a normal website dodgy ad/redirect so I think you're safe, no need for concern!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7