× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My XR500 completely lost - any advice?

geirsi
Tutor

My XR500 completely lost - any advice?

My XR500 stopped working yesterday. I have no clue what happened or if I had automatic firmware updates on or off.

I have tried all kinds of resetting, including the 30-30-30 and uploading the latest firmware (2.3.2.114) using TFTP as described here (https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client)

I have tried this procedure, clicking "put" with the white power light blinking and stable red.

If I wire a computer with any port, the router signifies traffic, blinking white lights for the port, but the 192.168.1.1 doesnt respond, with a web browser or ping.  The browser request is just "interrupted".

Any advice? 🙂 Different firmware versions or reset procedure or ..... ? 

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: My XR500 completely lost - any advice?

Unfortunately not that I am aware of - I'd suggest opening a ticket with Netgear just in case they have some troubleshooting steps that I'm not familiar with. https://www.netgear.com/support/

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't suggest doing a 30-30-30 reset as that can damage the router. On Windows if you open command prompt while connected to the router and type ipconfig and press enter does 192.168.1.1 appear as the gateway address?
Message 2 of 14
geirsi
Tutor

This is what the Ethernet adapter IP config gives me ... but set this statically during the image upload trials ...

ipconfig.png

If I switch to dynamic IP the gateway is not there ...

ipconfig2.png

Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't see the pictures at the moment until they've been moderated but thanks for the description. When you did the TFTP method did it say that it sent/uploaded it successfully?
Message 4 of 14
geirsi
Tutor

Yes, there was a message saying 0 bytes where retransmitted and the signature, so as expected from the website guide.

Just to explain the photos:

Static config: I have subnet mask 255.255.255.0 when setting static ip (192.168.1.99) and gateway 192.168.1.1)

Auto config: There is no gateway, the mask is 255.255.0.0 and they ip (169.254.184.34) 

Message 5 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, if you haven't already could you now try holding the reset button for thirty seconds since doing the TFTP update?

Message 6 of 14
geirsi
Tutor

I tried twice more running the following procedure

1) Hold for 30 secs to get rid of the red light and get a white blinking power light, otherwise the TFTP won't send

2) Put the image through the TFTP - success

3) Hold the reset for 30 secs 

Result: White blinking light on the router.  No response from http://192.168.1.1 but pinging the IP gives a successful response.

Thanks for your help on this. Anything else I could try?

Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you see if you can access 192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm please?
Message 8 of 14
geirsi
Tutor

No, connection timeout in the browser

Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The IP you received previously indicates you will need to factory reset it to get it working again - I know you've done so already but I think you'll need to keep trying to see if it will spring to life. Hold for 30 seconds, then release and wait 2 minutes before trying access.
Message 10 of 14
geirsi
Tutor

Is there no other way of resetting with an external source than with the TFTP? No USB flash way or is this just heading for the recycling bin if the "spring to life" doesn't work? 🙂 

Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Unfortunately not that I am aware of - I'd suggest opening a ticket with Netgear just in case they have some troubleshooting steps that I'm not familiar with. https://www.netgear.com/support/
Message 12 of 14
geirsi
Tutor

I feel obliged to post the resolution here as it turned out that the router was fine (!?!),  there could be lesson learned for the tech-support world ... and fellow troubleshooting nerds will probably enjoy the unusual resolution turning up out of nowhere 🙂 

The problem was that the power adapter had been mixed up with another device and so the router was getting less ampers than required. This meant that the XR500 appeared to be starting up, with the lights flashing (red/white) and even the ports appearing to be working.  It however didn't have the power it needed to start fully.

I was basically throwing it away for good when this was discovered. I had tested with a few ethernet chords and 2 different computers but didn't think of the power adapter as a possible source of the problem. 

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

How bizarre! Glad to hear it's resolved though, and thank you for feeding back!

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7