× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear network speeds

Netgear network speeds

So I have a home network with a mix of Win7 (Pro and Ultimate) and Win10 (Pro and LTSB) machines, desktops, towers, NUC and SFF laptops and tablets. Both wired and wireless.

The Netgear Nighthawk XR1000 router sits in the centrally located kitchen with an Ethernet connection to the NUC from the router switch. (6ft. Cat7 cable) This unit can consistently achieve 940Mbps speed tests to a specific Spectrum speedtest site.

The router also has a switched connection to my office with a 60 ft. Cat 6a cable to a 1Gbps brand new GS108Ev3 Netgear managed switch (supports Jumbo Packets) and 20 ft. Cat 6a patch cables to each of the three other machines there.

All Speedtests are done to the same site with Ookla speedtest.exe software at random intervals, and this software keeps a csv record. This is not a browser web based speedtest.

Laptop One, consistently gets in the 400Mbps plus range. It has a 1Gbps USB3 Express card to Ethernet adapter. The network adapter in the docking station on this unit is connected to a printer on a different IP subnet.

Laptop Two, is an identical model to laptop one with the same model Ethernet adapter. It consistently gets no more or less than 250Mbps tests. Both from the docking station nic and the usb adapter nic.

Desktop Three, consistently gets 200 to 300 Mbps readings. Although there will be an occasional 400-600Mbps reading. This machine has two Nic’s down on the motherboard.

1. Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection, for Printer and NAS
  2. Intel 82574L Gigabit Network Connection, for Internet

These three machines have a mix of AV and Firewall, both ZoneAlarm and MSE. Turning ZA on and off seems to make no difference at all. Nothing unusual about the software loads, MS Office, Norton Ghost, Adobe, Brave and/or Firefox, etc.

Jumbo packets and forced 1Gbps full duplex have been enforced on all network adapters.

I am looking to standardize the results from these three machines, with the control unit: the NUC. Since Ethernet is capable of supporting 940Mbps and 990Mbps with Jumbo packets, I want this.

All network adapter drivers have been updated to the most current available.

I do not believe that this is accountable to the speedtest server, as the NUC gets consistent test results, and I believe that this server has multiple 1Gbps connections or a 10Gbps connection to the Internet.

What have I missed?

Ideas?

Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

what happens if you direct connect one of them directly to the laptop with no extended run/switch? Just a 6ft cable between router-computer. 

What speeds do you get? 

That's where I'd start. Simple router/device. 

Message 2 of 19

Thanks for your response.

Let me now add some new complexity, to perhaps bring some clarity.

I put a Samsung tablet next to the NUC.

The NUC with an Intel Ethernet Connection I218-V got 768Mbps

With the Samsung tablet with the factory dock Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller I got 319Mbps

Switched the router switch ports, no effect on either

I did not yet switch the Cat7 cables between them.

Switched to a USB to a Ethernet adapter on the tablet and no effect

QOS and VPN are OFF in the router, running newest firmware which is older than I would like.

Router MTU is set to the Max (default) on the router at 1500

Am going to try a SuperSpeed Express Card in the slower laptop to see what that brings. Low expectations here.

Each of these three machines get an ipconfig/release and renew daily via a utility I have. It's an OpSec thing.

Do I need to somehow rebuild TCP/IP on the slow machines? netsh int ip rese?

Message 3 of 19

PS. I envy your fiber.

Message 4 of 19
plemans
Guru

let me see if I can get a mod to move this to the pro gaming forum where the dumaOS guys are. 

they're great at knowing the ins/outs of the XR1000 you use. 

Message 5 of 19

Well, I solved it on the tablet anyway. Switching cables made no difference, resetting tcpip made no difference, turning off zone alarm made no difference. But uninstalling it did! Jumped from 300Mbps to 900Mbps. Who would have thunk it? Back to MSE for me on this one.

Now to resolve the other three slow pokes.

Message 6 of 19

Hey plemans thanks for all the help.

Have your tried testing your connection to https://www.measurementlab.net/ and/or https://testmy.net/multithread?

I am curious on how your results compare to mind, which are not good.

Thanks,

Lefty

Message 7 of 19

"let me see if I can get a mod to move this to the pro gaming forum where the dumaOS guys are.

they're great at knowing the ins/outs of the XR1000 you use."

That would be great, I'd like to see new firmware and a never version of the OS that wasn't so slow. Not to mention SNMP support.

"1.4gig download/50mbps upload from Xfinity"

Riddle me this though. Assuming you have a modem with a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port, what router do you have and computer do you have that gives you 1.4Gbps thoughput?

Thanks again for your help,

Lefty

Message 8 of 19
plemans
Guru

@Lefty_Insider wrote:

"1.4gig download/50mbps upload from Xfinity"

Riddle me this though. Assuming you have a modem with a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port, what router do you have and computer do you have that gives you 1.4Gbps thoughput?

Thanks again for your help,

Lefty

I have a CM2000 (has a 2.5gig port) running to my RBKE963 which then goes to an 8 port 2.5gig switch, then to 2x custom pc's that one has a 2.5gig port and the other a 2.5/5/10gig port. so plenty of testing. Not at home right now to test those sites you posted. 

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 19

thanks for the info.

Lefty

Message 11 of 19

Now that I have a rock solid 940+ wired Ethernet connection to all my ten computers, I am wondering why using the same test sites and standing next to the router, my 5Ghz wireless connections are all around 500Mbps.

Why do I lose so much through the XR1000 router? No QoS or VPN enabled. default factory settings.

Perhaps this should go the the Nighthawk forum?

Lefty

Message 12 of 19

Btw, these are all 5.2Ghz 802.11 n, ac, or ax connections.

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Possibly due to wifi devices being 2x2 MIMO and most of those top out at around 300-700Mpbs depending on there design and support. Only 4x4 MIMO devices can see anything near 900Mpbs or over. 

Message 14 of 19

Is there a way to interrogate the wireless card to determine if 2x2, 3x3, or 4x4 or MU-MIMO?

Does that explain why some phones are faster on wireless than computers? Multiple antennas and I/O.

I am still researching this, new to me topic, but does the RX1000 support 4x4?

My Surface Pro is apparently 2x2 based on a quick online check.

“netsh wlan show all” Gets me close

“netsh wlan show all | find /I “MIMO” Was suggested but does not seem to work

Not sure of the exact syntax.

Any help would be appreciated,

Lefty

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a netsh ?

to see a list of commands that operator has. 

Yes:

WiFi 6 (802.11ax) dual band WiFi (AX5400)
- 2.4GHz AX: 2x2 (Tx/Rx) 1024/256 QAM
20/40MHz, up to 600Mbps†
- 5GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024-QAM
20/40/80/160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps

Message 16 of 19

Ok, good thanks.

I have:

2-QGOO AX1800 XHT-6B16 USB 3.0 WiFi Dongle WiFi 6 Wireless Adapter Dual Band 5Ghz/2.4Ghz High Gain Dual 5dBi Antennas 802.11ax MU-MIMO Wireless Data Transfer Rate 1200 Mbps

1-Netgear A7000 AC1900 Wi-Fi speeds up to 600 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz. 3x4 MIMO design - more bandwidth capacity when downloading and uploading data to and from the wireless network

1-Intel AX200 TX/RX Streams 2x2 Bands 2.4, 5 GHz (160MHz) Max Speed 2.4 Gbps Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) MU-MIMO

So they should all give me more than 500Mbps right?

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

2x2 will top out at around 300-700Mpbs depending. 

3x4, haven't see that but it only connects at 1300Mpbs so maybe same as 2x2. Again depending. 

Message 18 of 19

I can run this command but I just dumps be back to a command prompt from c:\ or the C:\windows, no errors

From C:\windows\system32 it says the FIND Parameter format is not correct (am using F3 to repeat the command)

netsh wlan show all | find /I "MIMO"

Still haven't figured out the  systax and the ? is not helping me.

Btw, I just got 943Mbps from my Surface Pro 7+ standing next to the router, 100 less if I walk 20ft to the sun room, and 300 less if I close the glass French door. go figure!

If I put the A7000 in it, it gets about 300Mbps at the router

So apparently your mileage will vary here.

Lefty

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7