× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR500 Dropping Wired Internet Connection

OlRazzl3Dazzle
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500 Dropping Wired Internet Connection

Hello folks,

I have been having issues with my Xbox One disconnecting from the internet just enough to kick me from the Destiny server, but not enough to kick me out of Xbox Live chat.

My Xbox One X is wired to the router, and I have disconnected from the internet while my girlfriend (who is connected via WiFi) has remained connected. I have tried a new wire and different Ethernet port but to no avail.

Help?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to clarify, it's more that you're being booted from the game rather than the internet as no other devices are affected? Are you using the Geo-Filter and utilising the Destiny profile? If not you should do as an important option needs to be toggled - strict mode off and that should prevent you from getting kicked.
Message 2 of 8
OlRazzl3Dazzle
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Just to clarify, it's more that you're being booted from the game rather than the internet as no other devices are affected? Are you using the Geo-Filter and utilising the Destiny profile? If not you should do as an important option needs to be toggled - strict mode off and that should prevent you from getting kicked.

I am not using any sort of QoS tools in the NetDumaOS, and I am not using any sort of GeoFiltering. 

As for what's happening when I get booted from Destiny, it states I have no internet connection but the lapse is so brief it seems to immediately begin working again.

I have also been having issues with Xbox Live Party Chat just randomly failing, and I am in a constant state of connecting, while everyone else is fine. So to answer your question, I think it has affected other devices but the lapse is so brief it doesn't seem noticeable unless you are utilizing services where a constant internet connection is required.

Message 3 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Could you use something like PingPlotter to keep an eye on your connection and see if you notice the connection dropping when the disconnections happen?

Message 4 of 8
OlRazzl3Dazzle
Aspirant

I have been using the program NetUptimeMonitor in order to monitor my connection, and I have been registering some disconnects. Usually, they happen in rapid succession for a particular period of time. The failures usually last somewhere between 5-6 seconds, but there was one logged for about 26 seconds. These may not seem like huge downtimes, but when playing games requiring a constant connection it can cause some very frustrating disconnects.

How can I rule out whether it is the router or my ISP that is causing the issue?

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Directly connect to the ISP modem/router for awhile and monitor to see if you still get disconnections? If you do then it's not down to the XR500. You'd need to then contact the ISP who will determine where the issue lies.
Message 6 of 8
OlRazzl3Dazzle
Aspirant

Alright, I will try that and see what happens. Now, if the problem is the XR500, then what are my options, since my Warranty/Product Support has expired?

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We'll have to do our best to identify the issue and resolve it with settings or identify it and see if it's something we can fix ourselves with an update.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7