× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Parental Controls

Cordain
Tutor

Parental Controls

Are parental controls coming to the XR500 Gaming Router?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is something we are thinking about for our roadmap. Meanwhile you can use Block Services/Sites and schedule internet downtime in Settings.
Message 2 of 47
Cordain
Tutor

Sounds good.

I have tried that but I need to schedule individual devices.  I have children and scheduling on and off times is important.

Message 3 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Totally understand, it's something we're looking into. Could block individual devices manually on Device Manager.
Message 4 of 47
Cordain
Tutor

That's how I've been doing it so far.  

Thank you so much for responding.  Keeping an eye out for the next update.

Message 5 of 47
LL1
Aspirant
Aspirant

what settings, and in the Netgear Genie app or...?  I'd like to turn off the internet for my kids every day at 11.

Message 6 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The settings I mentioned before are in Settings > Monitoring but it will turb off the internet as a whole. For now the best bet would be to block the devices individually on the device manager.
Message 7 of 47
randiniz
Guide

For the most part the XR500 is a great router.  THAT BEING SAID, without solid parental control capabilities, the router is just a plain waste of money for any family with kids.  Manually turning on an off internet on week nights is tedious and unnecessary.  At the least, NetGear sghould post a video on hour to schedule turning off an on specific IP/Mac addresses to help parents that may not be that technical.

Its time for DUMAOS and Netgear to get this feature added to the router.  They have been taking about it for quite some time, but for some reason it has not been a priority.  

NetGear DUMAOS is this a planned feature?  And if so, WHEN????

Message 8 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I believe there is a plan to implement a more comprehensive Parental Control solution but it is Netgear taking care of that as far as I am aware so I do not have an ETA on that but will try to find out.
Message 9 of 47
_JohnL_
Initiate

Any update on parental controls?

Message 10 of 47
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi - none in the short term but definitely something we are looking into.

Message 11 of 47
randiniz
Guide

Re: Parental Controls-The folks at Netduma should be politicians

The folks at Netduma should be politicians.  The XR500 is a great router but with no Parental controls.  The manual on/off feature is time consuming and for the most part worthless.  The NetDuma Team say they are considering a parental control feature, but these are empty statements and promises.  

I hate to say it, but without a REAL committment on parental controls the NetDuma OS is a complete waste of money.  It's time for a new brand of router or a NetGear one that does NOT use NetDuma as it's OS.  

Message 12 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is marketed as a gaming router, not necessarily a family router. It has some parental control features in Settings that you're aware of. As it's an operating system we can always expand and bring on more features. It can only get better from here, while it personally may not be for you now it would be in future.
Message 13 of 47
randiniz
Guide

Why bother even suggesting that this will be enhanced?  For the money spent and regardless of whether it is a gaming router or not, there is no reason why you cannot add parental controls.  Stop suggesting that parental controls will be a feature in the future or that it is even a consideration on your team's part.  All you have been providing the community is false hopes.

Message 14 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In it on our roadmap but it is not one of priorities which is why it has not been added so far. I am certain it will be expanded upon in the future but do not have a timeline for it.
Message 15 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

NG nor Duma post when new features maybe coming out. They'll appear when the FW is released to there download support site. 

This is a gaming router meant for the gaming community and gaming customers. NG and Duma probably didn't want to inlcude any parental controls as this router seems more directed towareds gamers and gaming experinences. 

You can direct your concerns to NG about adding features here however:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

If you need a router that does have parental controls, you should probably looking into a non gaming router like NG's R series routers. There good at gaming as well as they do have parental controls. 

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 47
Darian115
Aspirant

This really is one of the better all around routers in it's price range for the functionality it provides - you can either overpay for other gaming-focused routers, or overpay for the Asus RT-AX88U on the family side which has first gen WiFi 6 capabilities (and first gen anything is never worth it).  Or you can reach back to the RT-AC88U which Asus may stop updating firmware since it has been out for 4 years now.  The others (TP-Link, Synology, etc.) offer clunky OSes that do not compare.  My point here is that while you aren't accountable for those other technologies, your product is positioned in a unique price-point for its features EXCEPT for the presence of Parental Controls.  That is literally the only thing preventing me from clicking "Buy" on Amazon on this router right now.  You really should get a suite of tools (or work with a vendor and buy theirs) to add to your interface.  Take the loss now for current models and add  $10-15 extra to next generation of routers to recoup costs.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 17 of 47
Darian115
Aspirant

Did some digging and found Firewalla - @Netduma-Fraser @Netduma_Jack , have either of you guys seen performance data when stacking with something like Firewalla?  I know that it requires that you turn off DHCP on the XR500 for it to be compatible (https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009401874), but will that negatively affect any of the automated services (or by a negligible amount)?

Message 18 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is the first time I've heard of it, the devices get the IP addresses from the Firewalla box so then I'm unsure if the devices would appear individually or not on the XR500 device manager. It would see it as another router so if you were to use the Geo-Filter for example it would apply to every single device.
Message 19 of 47
randiniz
Guide

All, I gave up on Netgear's a ability to provide full feature sets on this router. I purchased FingBox and added it to the network. It is available on Amazon and has a fantastic app to set schedules, turn in and off the internet for specidix devices and tighle internet for a group of devices based on the associated user.

Netgear has been around for a very long time. Unfortunately they have not kept up with consumer trends. I will not be purcahsing a Netgear router moving forward!
Message 20 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Most gaming routers or at least XR routers are designed and tuned more with the gamer in mind. Having parental contolls may not be a consideration or priority for gamers thus would be no need. Also having additional features like this can impack gaming performance. Again if your looking for full features routers, then NGs R series or Orbi routers are more full features, however not tuned for gamers. The XR series is a gaming router with gamers in mine, sans parental controls. Good Luck. 

@randiniz wrote:
All, I gave up on Netgear's a ability to provide full feature sets on this router. I purchased FingBox and added it to the network. It is available on Amazon and has a fantastic app to set schedules, turn in and off the internet for specidix devices and tighle internet for a group of devices based on the associated user.

Netgear has been around for a very long time. Unfortunately they have not kept up with consumer trends. I will not be purcahsing a Netgear router moving forward!

Message 21 of 47
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would reiterate the above, the focus is on providing software than can improve gamers connections as much as possible. That being said parental controls has been requested so it's on our feature request lists.

Message 22 of 47
kkach
Tutor

I am  a gamer and also have children.   They too game online.  I just purchased this router after having much difficulty locating an affordable r7800 in Canada.  I think better parental scheduling controls is key and would add to the value of this router.  It is definately something I would be interested in.  I hope its possible to be doine.

Message 23 of 47
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

We know it's a popular request and it's certainly on the roadmap for DumaOS.

As said above, right now it's mainly a gaming product, but of course just because you're gaming doesn't mean you don't have kids!

Message 24 of 47
Zwilk
Aspirant

I too recently purchased the XR500 and I am disappointed in its lack of parental controls.  Unfortunately, I did not do enough research into the fact that not all Netgear routers work with the Circle (which is what Netgear recommends) unless I buy the Circle unit.  I would be curious to know what solutions everyone has tried to fill the void?  Right now I am monitoring my traffic through the Nitehawk application and created routines for shutdown through Alexa.  However, I dont have anything monitoring the content through their devices (luckily they aren' old enough to know what to look for). Any other ideas out there?

Message 25 of 47
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7