× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Phone calls and text messages don’t work when connected to WiFi?

apparii
Tutor

Phone calls and text messages don’t work when connected to WiFi?

For some reason 5G and 4G devices have failed calls and text messages on my home network. Any setting changes or suggestions?
Message 1 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Phone calls and text messages don’t work when connected to WiFi?

What router are you using currently?
Message 2 of 13
apparii
Tutor

Using the Nighthawk XR500
Message 3 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so I assume you're using WiFi calling? Are you using Smart Connect? If so disable this and connect to 2.4 or 5GHz manually and then see if it behaves better.
Message 4 of 13
apparii
Tutor

Smart connect is not enabled. Thanks for the idea to check, though. WiFi calling is set up on all devices. Not sure why SMS/MMS messages don’t go through to Android users.
Message 5 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In WAN Settings toggle SIP ALG and see if that helps please.
Message 6 of 13
apparii
Tutor

Unfortunately that did not fix the issue with failed calls.
Message 7 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay in the WAN Settings also switch NAT to Open, if that doesn't work then in QoS in the Anti-Bufferbloat menu disable QoS entirely and then try please.
Message 8 of 13
apparii
Tutor

Changing to Open didn't improve texts. I'm pretty confident disabling QoS has improved texts going through from iPhone to Android. I will check back if I still have issues. If I don't, that's what fixed it.

Message 9 of 13
apparii
Tutor

There seem to be fewer errors, but they still occur, unfortunately; both failed calls and unsent SMS messages. This occurs on iPhone 12 Pro and Mini, specifically.
Message 10 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest upgrading to the beta and doing a factory reset. If it then still occurs then make a Traffic Controller rule to allow ALL traffic to those devices https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma

Actually before that you could make a manual Traffic Prioritization rule for the devices 1-65535 Source/Destination TCP/UDP and see if that works.
Message 11 of 13
apparii
Tutor

Traffic prioritization rules and beta firmware didn't fix the problem.

My ISP and modem are running fine. Over the past month I spent many hours working with Verizon who said it's likely a problem with iPhone 12's and it'd be fixed with the iOS update on 1/25 (14.4), but it didn't solve the issue. I called and spoke with Apple on Friday and they said it isn't a known issue with their devices, but because we have AppleCare they still wanted to check out the phone statistics and diagnostics in person. So, I spent 4 hours today backing up our new phones, taking them to the Apple Store a half hour away, getting replacement phones, and then restoring them from backup. It did not solve the problem. So, it is not our phones. I'm really frustrated.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the update. 

So if you connect to your old ISP router, you don't experience this issue?

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7