× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems with XR500

sireric1967
Guide

Problems with XR500

Hi.

I'm using an XR500 with an EX8000 extender.  I have about 40 devices wirelessly connected to the router, either direct (2.4/5.0) or through the extender.  Running firmware v2.3.2.56

Recently, I've had to start resetting the router.  Twice in the last 2 weeks.  These are some of the symptoms:

1. Device manager fails to load from web UI

2. Some devices disconnect from router (Wireless devices)

3. One device was not able to connect, and did not get a DHCP assigned address.

4. Various BW issues with just some devices, even though within 20 feet of router (1 floor up, though).

5. Some devices got disconnected completely from router, even though in the same room.

Resetting the router fixes all the above.

In general, when I test speedtest.net, I see ~480 mb/s download, and 12mb/s upload.  But for some devices, it's far less, once the problems start acting up.

I've flashed an older version of firmware, changed various settings, but nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and EX? 30 feet is recommended in between router and EX to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Does the same thing happen if the EX is turned OFF? 

Message 2 of 15
sireric1967
Guide

I'm using a cable modem from Spectrum, and measure consistently 12mb/s on upload and ~480mb/s on the download side.  Model E31T2V1.

I've had the EX8000 about 40 feet away, on a second floor.  Last night, I moved it to the front of the house, on the same level, and about 30 feet away (2 walls).

The channels are set to Auto, and 2.4 is using channel 9, while the 5.0 is using channels 153 (shows as 149 + 153(p) + 157 + 161).

Logging into my router, I see that the R-app for the dashboard is now no longer running (lower left one), with a spinning wait icon and eventually the message "the operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using the R-App".  Same thing for the device manager.  They were both working fine last night and this morning.  This is usually a warning sign that the router is no longer going to be working correctly.

2 wifi neighbors, but further off (-72dbm (ch 1 & 36) and -95dbm (ch 5)).  My 5.0 shows up at -45dbm, and the same for 2.4Ghz.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Channel 9 should not be used. Thats not a primary channel, try one of the ones mentioned. 

Message 4 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On the System Information page in the Rapp panel options could you change the number of retries from 3 to 5 please. Then in Settings > Advanced > Advanced WiFi Settings, disable both the WiFi radios, apply, reboot, then go back, enable, apply and reboot again. See if you get the same issues after that.
Message 5 of 15
sireric1967
Guide

I had already changed the R-App settings to 5. Didn't help.  After ~12 hours since last reset, the R-Apps no longer work.  Just spinning and time out.

Message 6 of 15
sireric1967
Guide

Now looks like all upstairs devices are disconnected from the network.  This is clearly a failing router.  Now wondering if RAX120+EX8 or Orbi 4200 aren't better options.  I'm not even sure if the RX500 lasted a year.

Message 7 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You mentioned this has only happened recently, has there been any changes to your setup or the way you're using the network etc?
Message 8 of 15
sireric1967
Guide

Well, the most obvious is that we are using the network far more than before, with two of us working from home.  Also, more wireless devices added recently (extra printer, wireless controllers for lights and sprinklers).  So over 40 wireless devices now.

Otherwise, router in the same place as usual.  Only thing I've noticed is that it auto updated itself to this latest version of the firmware, in the last few weeks/months.

Message 9 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for that information, based on this I've got two suggestions for you. First try downgrading to the .40 firmware: https://kb.netgear.com/000060464/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-40 and see if that resolves it. If not try setting up a guest WiFi network and connecting some of the devices you notice the issues on to that.
Message 10 of 15
sireric1967
Guide

Thanks.  I'll try the .40 img to see if that helps.  I had already setup the guest network for 2.4G to see if it would work.  It does seem to work, and none of the devices on that failed.  But the 5G ones still do.

I've also ordered an Orbi AC5700.

Message 11 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that is interesting, perhaps a channel conflict, do you have many WiFi networks in the area? Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that as well.
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you enable Smart Connect and Beamforming and be sure WMM is enabled as well. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@sireric1967 wrote:

Thanks.  I'll try the .40 img to see if that helps.  I had already setup the guest network for 2.4G to see if it would work.  It does seem to work, and none of the devices on that failed.  But the 5G ones still do.

I've also ordered an Orbi AC5700.

Message 13 of 15
sireric1967
Guide

Hi.

Modem is Spectrum E31T2V1, which appears to be a Broadcom chipset modem from Hytron. 

I have SmartSelect enabled already.  WMM is enabled, and Implicit Beaforming is also enabled. MU-MIMO too.

Flashed to the .40 about 24 hours ago.  Still seems to be working fine, and R-Apps still work this morning.  Fingers crossed for now.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes after a few days. 

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7