× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about Nighthawk gaming router

belykoral
Follower

Question about Nighthawk gaming router

Hey guys, I have a question and wasn’t sure who to ask.

Basically I just moved and I’m unable to hardwire my Xbox . I’m staying in a basement and the router is on the first floor. After testing, the connection is supposed to be good but I experience lag quite often when gaming. I was considering buying the Nighthawk pro for gaming to help combat this. What I was wondering was

-is this a good method to help with lag -I’m only one floor down directly beneath the router/modem, would the distance be a problem since I can’t hardwire

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Question about Nighthawk gaming router

What router do you currently have? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speeds do you get over 2.4ghz and 5ghz in your current location?

Are you connected to 5ghz for gaming? (you should be)

The key is to find where the lag/slow downs are coming from. If its related to the router, an upgrade might help. If its related to the speeds you pay for, it might not. So the key is to figure out where the current issue is coming from before throwing $ at the problem 

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk Gaming Router products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-rout...

@belykoral wrote:

Hey guys, I have a question and wasn’t sure who to ask.

Basically I just moved and I’m unable to hardwire my Xbox . I’m staying in a basement and the router is on the first floor. After testing, the connection is supposed to be good but I experience lag quite often when gaming. I was considering buying the Nighthawk pro for gaming to help combat this. What I was wondering was

-is this a good method to help with lag -I’m only one floor down directly beneath the router/modem, would the distance be a problem since I can’t hardwire

Thank you.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would say so yes, QoS will help to eliminate local congestion and the Geo-Filter will help to get you closer servers. The WiFi should be strong enough if you're right under it
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7