× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reset to Factory Default after every firmware update?

Tkbuc
Guide

Reset to Factory Default after every firmware update?

I read somewhere that it is recommended to factory reset the XR1000 Pro Gaming router after every firmware update?  Is this true?  I am thinking of factory reset because my 2.4G band sometimes wont allow new devices to connect to it (existing devices connected to it work fine).  

If I factory reset the device, but rename my 2.4 and 5G with the same SSID names and passwords, will I need to reconnect all of my home devices or will they still find the WIFI names and connect automatically?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Reset to Factory Default after every firmware update?

You shouldn't need to after every update. We just usually recommend it if you're having issues after an update. 

Message 2 of 5
Tkbuc
Guide

Thanks!  If I factory reset the device, but rename my 2.4 and 5G with the same SSID names and passwords, will I need to reconnect all of my home devices or will they still find the WIFI names and connect automatically?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you use the exact same ssid/password, they all should auto-connect. I switch routers a lot and all my devices switch over automatically when I use the same ssid/password. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7