× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to find setting up Remote Management after firmware update

ebenasky
Aspirant

Unable to find setting up Remote Management after firmware update

I searched for an answer to this - but I wasn't able to find one.

When I first got my Nighthawk XR300, I was able to go into settings>advanced settings and set up remote management.  Since I have upgraded to the latest firmware 1.0.3.38_10.3.30 I no longer have that ability.  I have reset the router back to factory without luck.  I loaded the app on my phone and did an install that way and turned on the remote management but that did not help my problem.

I need to be able to access this router from another wired computer that is on the WAN.  I set a static IP on the router and turned on the ability to ping it and that works.  I have tried both ports 8080 and 8443 with no luck.  I use https:\\ to try and connect.

How can I enable remote management?

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Looking at the changelogs for all the firmware versions it doesn't look like this feature has been removed or altered. Just to confirm you still have the feature it just isn't working? Is your XR300 connected to a modem or modem/router? If the later have you put it into the DMZ so the XR can be open to the internet?
Message 2 of 12
ebenasky
Aspirant

When I first purchased this router, I have the ability to make setting to the remote management.  After a firmware update, I am no longer finding that setting in advanced or anywhere else I look.  I am trying to connect to the router with a PC that is on the same LAN as the router - so no DMZ is in place.  I tried to roll back to previous versions of firmware just in case I might be able to find the setting and I had no luck so I re-installed the newest version.

I tried https to the IP address of the router with ports 8080 and 8443 with no luck.  I turned on the ability to ping the router and it does return a ping.

At this point, I am giving up on doing remote access and I will connect directly to the LAN port if I need to do maintenance.

I have loaded the App on my phone so I can do some simple things like a reboot if needed.

Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not sure I understand, if the device is on your LAN what is the purpose of connecting via the WAN address instead of the LAN address?
Message 4 of 12
ebenasky
Aspirant

My apologies for writing down the wrong thing.

The laptop that I am now going to use to do maintenance will be plugged directly into one of the LAN ports off of the Nighthawk.  The computer that I was trying to use to access the remote management is on the same WAN as the router with out a DMZ.  It is this computer that I was not able to do any remote management.

I do not know what changed in my firmware of the XR300 - but since it is working OK except for the remote management, I am not going to worry about it and just do a work around with a direct connect in case I need to make changes.  Next time I will just get a different router.

Thanks

Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I will enquire with Netgear to see if there has been any changes to RM on the XR300, sorry for the inconvinience.
Message 6 of 12
Spas_MoTo
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem with my XR300. I can only connect remotely to it via the Nighthawk app on Android, but I can not connect remotely via a laptop browser running Windows. And the remote access setting in the router software is not available any more after updating to the latest firmware. Please, advise how can I connect remotely to the router, so I can manage it. I tried via the ip of the router http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:8080, but I can not connect to it.

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

NG must have removed the feature for some reason. You may be able to do so if you use the VPN service to access your network, you can see how to do this here: https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-cli...

Otherwise if that doesn't work then the only option currently would be to use the app or downgrade the firmware.
Message 8 of 12
gman3346
Initiate

Well I know why Netgear took this out of the firmware...it didn't work. It actually has not been part of the firmware since the original firmware V1.0.1.4_10.1.4. I downgraded all the way back to this version because this feature is so important to me. While I could turn on remote management and set it up, I could never access the router from a remote location. To make matters worse, after attempting to acess the router from a remote location, the router would become unaccessible even from the lan. The only solution was the reboot the router and then I could regain access to it, but only from the lan. My guess is that the router viewed the attempted access from the remote location as some sort of security attack and shutdown all access.

Also trying to enable emote access from the Nighthawk app does not work.

Netgear, *please* fix this issue and put remote access back into the firmware!!

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is probably why, I'll let Netgear know that this is a feature people would like to be reintroduced.
Message 10 of 12
gman3346
Initiate

That would be great, especially since they list the XR300 as having remote management, when in fact it does not.

https://kb.netgear.com/000055494/Which-routers-support-remote-management

Message 11 of 12
Mumtazs
Aspirant

To manage servers that are running Windows Server releases older than Windows Server 2016, install the PayGOnline following software and updates to make the older releases of Windows Server manageable by using Server Manager in Windows Server.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7