× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR 500 disconnecting randomly

AlvinLC
Aspirant

XR 500 disconnecting randomly

For the past two weeks now my XR500 route has been disconnecting randomly whether on a wireless or ethernet connection. I have allocated more than enough bandwidth for the xbox one ethernet, but still get disconnects. This is frustrating as my old router though option less would never disconnect me.

It's currently using motorola SB8200 through cox gib service. Router fw is 4.3.2.114. The only things I could tell that was on is in the log it shows DHCP lease multiple times, but I'm not a network person so I'm not sure what correlates too. My understanding is it shouldn't happen very often though.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR 500 disconnecting randomly

That's interesting, sorry to hear that. Do you have any other of the features currently enabled? Could you try fully disabling QoS, Geo-filter, Adblocker and see if the drops stilll occur? I realise this is an unrealistic use case, I'm just curious as to whether any of these are affecting it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you upgrade to this firmware and then do a factory reset please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mwe5sx81gsc129/XR500-V2.3.2.114-DumaOS3.0.203.img?dl=0 it has potential fixes for DHCP disconnections.
Message 2 of 6
AlvinLC
Aspirant

Sure, I'm downloading it currently. Same thing as other fw updates, After updating and doing a hard reset, start from scratch and don't use a backup image?
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes please!
Message 4 of 6
AlvinLC
Aspirant

Hi, I've uploaded and tried it out and it seems to be having the same issues. Router was rock solid at first, and now it seems as though a router/modem combo is more reliable.

I've now disabled IPV6 (which i shouldn't have to), and tried extending UPNP lease times to 999 minutes from the previous 20 minute setting. Is there something I'm missing here, it seems as though everyone has almost identical problems as I am having. It also says I'm in Canada, not sure why it thinks that.

Please help figure out a solution for me, j would gate to return this when all I have heard is good things previously.
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That's interesting, sorry to hear that. Do you have any other of the features currently enabled? Could you try fully disabling QoS, Geo-filter, Adblocker and see if the drops stilll occur? I realise this is an unrealistic use case, I'm just curious as to whether any of these are affecting it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7