× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 Limiting Bandwidth Per Device

Hyperboost671
Aspirant

XR1000 Limiting Bandwidth Per Device

I am currently trying to limit bandwidth with certain devices, is it possible to set limited speed of devices based on an assign static IP's?  I've tried to set the "Bandwidth allocation - Devices" and specifically selected the device and adjusted the download speed.  As it seems it doesnt limit the speed to the device as I've done a speed test on said device and it exceeds the set download speed.  Example:  I want a laptop to not exceed 42mb DL  and 5mb UL  but when I do a speed test it gives full 90MB to that laptop.  I did activate the congestion control and dropped the % to the threshold, still it had no effect.  I understand the QOS design, but will there be a bandwidth limiting feature per IP or MAC address?  Rather than affecting all the devices via congestion control.  Or Just specifically apply the congestion control speeds to certain devices and distribute the excess to the remaining devices not included.   I tried to look through the settings and was not successful, unless I missed something...  

This photo is an example of what I'm looking for, I had this in my previous router along with a suite of VPN functionality.

LIMIT.png

Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR1000 Limiting Bandwidth Per Device

You'll need to disable Share Excess on Bandwidth Allocation if you want to do that and currently it applies to all devices but it's something that has been requested before so we'll likely implement it in future.
Message 2 of 4
Hyperboost671
Aspirant

I'll definitely be looking forward for that update!! I also have been having issues with the Connection benchmarking the Speed test isnt true by a huge margin. I have a 90 MB connection and when I do the Duma Os speed test it only peaks @ 2MB. Upload speed is normal and accurate. Speedtest.net averages 89 -94MB and it is also affecting the Congestion Control Auto Setup.. It keeps my DL speed @ 100% and only adjusts my Upload during the 7 tests.

Things I tried, Full reset --> setup same result. Firmware Downgrade + Full reset ---> Same result.
Firmware Upgrade + Full reset ---> SR...
Take in mind I've constantly cleared cookies, Cache, website Data etc... on all prior tests before logging into the router. I've tried Microsoft Edge, and Firefox. I go to DSLreports and manually adjust the sliders in Congestion Control in regards to buffer bloat I was able to achieve ( A+) (A)( A+) in their 3 categories. There must of been some change in the Duma OS speed test server that is causing this. I've purchased this router directly from Netgear's website back in June of this year and with all the adjusting and attempts to improve my experience I had frozen or slow responsive UI, some points where I had to do a scheduled reboot every midnight or else I would get stuck at the QoS Congestion Control screen when I click "never" or "Always"and it just times out and says something about Rapp... I then came to terms during fall and not fiddle with the router and just use it as a basic router.. Now recently I wanted to control the QoS, compare some connection benchmarking results and here I am.. I hope a new patch comes soon for the XR1000.
Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Don't worry about that, we're still improving the results reported by Benchmark, the results there won't be a true indication currently.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7