× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR300 connection issues over ethernet

okay. I won't be able to do that until later tonight when everyone is asleep. I need to understand these steps. so unplug > hold reset button > plug back in > wait for 10 flashes > hit command? 

Message 26 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Wait for 10 flashes, let go of the reset button and then hit the command yes
Message 27 of 45

I'm not quite understanding. do I hold the reset button before I turn the router back on or after it fully boots up? and is it the power LED that is supposed to flash 10 times? because when I try to hold the reset button before powering it back on it cycles through a bunch of lights and the power LED never flashes. and then when I try it after it boots up I get the flashes but it still doesn't work, I still get a "Connect request failed" I am sorry, I am trying to understand and I keep failing. 

Message 28 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Unplug the router
Hold the reset button
While still holding the reset button plug the power back in
Continue holding the reset button until any of the LEDs (might be the internet LED) flash 10 times then let go of the reset button and enter the command
Message 29 of 45

how long does it typically take for the flashing to happen? because I held it for over a minute and it never happened.

Message 30 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Should happen within a few seconds. Instead of TFTP just try reupgrading the firmware in the normal way, wait 2 few minutes, factory reset using the button on the back of the router (holding for 30 seconds) then wait 2 minutes, go through Setup and see if it performs better.
Message 31 of 45

still run into this "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" and xbox game bar party chat still won't work

Message 32 of 45

I really wish I could get this figured out. I am sorry if this is frustrating. my xr300 just isn't aligning with any of the steps given for the TFTP method. and I feel that might just be the best method it seems to have something fresh. do you think the WAN cable could be a problem? 

Message 33 of 45

speaking of WAN cable, should that be plugged in or unplugged for the TFTP method?

Message 34 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

WAN should be unplugged so just the PC and power should be connected. I'm not sure why TFTP was working, holding the reset was in the guide a few days ago so maybe that's no longer valid. Try using a client instead: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-a-TFTP-client-o... follow the guide and if it doesn't work then try with the addition of holding the reset button
Message 35 of 45

sorry I have been busy, just been hardwired to my modem since that has been reliable. but I have tried everything you've said, I have followed those steps but there is no orange light that flashes, no matter what I do, reset, reboot, unplug, power button, nothing. it will not start light orange and start flashing. I can't find anyone online that has this xr300 that has done this so I can't get any reference to this specific model of router. I am a bit flustered that I can't do this, and it's not you, I really appreciate the help. it's just this router does not flash orange like ever. 

Message 36 of 45
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

How are you powering off the XR? Using the power button or by unplugging the power cable?

Message 37 of 45

I've tried both ways.

Message 38 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for trying, lets move on from that then. Could you put your PC in the DMZ please and see if you still have those same disconnection issues?
Message 39 of 45

so DMZ my pc when it's plugged into the modem? or can I DMZ from the router? 

Message 40 of 45
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

On the XR300, you can use the below article to find this option.

https://kb.netgear.com/1118/How-do-I-configure-a-device-to-be-in-the-DMZ-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 41 of 45

do I need to use a static IP when setting to DMZ? 

Message 42 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It would be better to yes to prevent the DMZ becoming invalid
Message 43 of 45

not too familiar with how to do that. I tried doing it from "view network connections" and selecting my ethernet and going into properties and selecting ipv4 and doing it there, but I ran into some issues. so that did not work. 

Message 44 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can do it from LAN Settings on the router - reserve the IP address it already has to make it easier
Message 45 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7