× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Qos and Geo Filter not working

Sambmx450
Aspirant

XR500 Qos and Geo Filter not working

Hello,

So I recently bought a newer router and modem for better gaming connection/speeds. I bought the XR500 and the CM1000.

Currently we are paying for 150mbps Download and 10mbps Upload. With the ISP provided Gateway, we got about 110 Download and 10 Upload speeds on speedtest.net. After switching to the XR500 and CM1000, Speedtests say im getting 73mbps Download and 8mbps Upload. Not sure what is causing the slower speeds? We are using Suddenlink for ISP (Cable connection).

Also the GeoFilter Does not seem to work. I set it to my state, While playing Modern Warfare on my PC, Im still getting paired to people across the US. Even though its set to 300 miles (Covering my whole state). Ive tried adding my PC to the Devices and that seems to have not effect.

The Qos doesnt seem to work either unless im reading it wrong. I set the phones we have on our internet to 4mbps download and on the Netword Snapshot, It still shows them peaking at 7Mbps (Past what I set for them). Anti-Bufferbloat is set to the reccommended 70% for Upload and Download. 

While playing on Modern Warfare tonight, My ping was jumping from the average 70-90 to 400-500+. Causing Rubberbanding in game and massive Lag spikes (Didnt do this prior to today). But at the time we had an Xbox One playing Warzone, Me on my PC playing Modern Warfare, a phone streaming Netflix and a Phone watching a video on Google.

In Qos Ive tried setting the Xbox and PC to have 30% bandwidth each, and the other devices have roughly 4% each. Am I setting that correctly? PC and Xbox are on a Wired Connection, everything else is WIFI.

Ive also tried changing my DNS servers to Preferred 1.1.1.1, Alternate 1.0.0.1 In windows. AND in the DumaOS Software the Primary is 1.1.1.1, Secondary is 1.0.0.1, Third is 8.8.8.8. With no change in latency/Speeds.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Sambmx450
Aspirant

Message 2 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Firstly, have you put your expected speeds into the Anti-Bufferbloat options? It can take a few days for the speeds to go back to normal after syncing with the ISP. Remove your PC from the Geo-Filter, in the Device Manager set the PC to a Playstation or Xbox and re-add it to the Geo-Filter. Use the Call of Duty profile and then in the Geo-Filter Map options put Ping Assist to 0. For QoS set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Always' and leave Traffic Prioritization as it is. With Bandwidth Allocation as Share excess is enabled any device can get more bandwidth if it needs it from devices that aren't using their full allocation.
Message 3 of 11
Sambmx450
Aspirant

Yes I do have expected speeds in the anti_bufferbload. And at the reccomended 70%. I waited a day to reply just to see how it work and it started searching for lobbies with 25ms ping to start. Sometimes id get into a match with 35-39ms ping (best I have got so far). And sometimes I would get into a match with 80-90ms ping. Living in AZ, Im not sure if ill always have that ping or not but at least its helped some. Stil not the best but better than nothing. Also with those GeoFilter settings, I was finally able to see the Auto Host stuff on the Map, So now I can see where the Host is at.

Message 4 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so the 70% is what is bringing your speeds down, this is expected in order to eliminate local congestion, in reality you shouldn't notice much of a difference on real world file downloading speeds. 35 ms isn't too bad. What is your ping if you do speedtest.net to the closest when no other devices are using the internet?
Message 5 of 11
Sambmx450
Aspirant

Okay so I did a speed test and the server closest to me (40ish miles away) and I had 15ms Ping. One thats 67 miles away I had 42 Ping. And the one thats 100 miles away, I got 63 ping. We moved a couple miles in town and were no longer serviced by our old ISP. So we had to switch ISPs. I would usually get 5-40 Ping. ABut after switching to this one, I get 70-90 in games. Could ISPs have that bad of lines? Or is there a better fix?

Message 6 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The closest server ping isn't too bad but it's slightly worrying that the ping increases that much just within 100 miles. It sounds like the routing isn't ideal, it might be possible to call the ISP and get them to route you better but it is unlikely.
Message 7 of 11
Sambmx450
Aspirant

So if I call them what would I need to say? And the fact that I changed my DNS server to 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 and 8.8.8.8 wouldn't affect that? Or is there anything else I should/Cant do?

Message 8 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's likely you'll need to be escalated through their support system before someone is able to give you a concrete answer. I would suggest you say that you have done some tests using PingPlotter to various different sites with their locations increasingly further away and that you are getting much higher pings than you should for a server that is just 100 miles away. You could mention you've been advised to ask whether they can optimise your routing so that you travel through fewer hops to server destinations. That is unlikely to make a difference unfortunately.
Message 9 of 11
Sambmx450
Aspirant

What is roughly the avarage ping per distance? Like 10ms ping for every 50 miles? And ill call as soon as I can. Thanks for the input! 

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well that is very hard to say as there are many variables. For example, I live in the UK - from me to Paris, France across the English channel is roughly 250 miles and I get ~20-25ms to those servers. To the East Coast of the US I would expect to get about 70-90ms.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series