× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Still dropping connection constantly

A-A-Ron
Tutor

XR500 Still dropping connection constantly

Hello,

well I am about at the end of my patience with this I have been through I can't tell you how many different issues with this router it will not stay connected it is constantly dropping connection when I run a ping test it's constantly losing connection and timing out randomly I've gotten help from tech support a number of times and they've had me try different settings and yet it might seem to work for a little bit and then just right back to the same dropping off all the time it's got to the point now where it won't even connect. I've had my ISP out here all connections are fine I bypass the router and hook straight to the modem seems to be working fine it has to be the router and I'm so frustrated because I spent $250 on a router that I've had nothing but problems with since the start I think it's a great router but it's only great when it works and it's connected online and I can't seem to find any consistency with that yet I'm sure it's out of warranty because I've had it just over a year so I don't even know what to do anymore I'm losing my patience with this I can't do any work online because anytime I do is zoom or a video call it drops connection all the time I am so frustrated I don't know what to do anymore I would appreciate anybody's help that thinks that they can help I'm willing to do anything possible to try to fix this I don't want to just lose faith in this router I believe it's a good router I just cannot get this thing to work.

Thank you in advance

Aaron

Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Still dropping connection constantly

What ping test are you running exactly where it's disconnecting? What firmware version are you on currently? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to?
Message 2 of 5
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Hey Fraser,

First thank you for responding I do appreciate that sorry if that original statement came off as a rant I'm just getting frustrated so I apologize for that. So I have been running just a standard DOS ping test. I will have it running in the background for most of the day and I will get request timed out random lean every 5 to 10 minutes on the average sometimes longer sometimes quicker but that's about the average. I realize for the most part it catches itself back up pretty quickly and if I'm just doing normal internet browsing or what have you I really won't notice it but if I'm on a zoom call or some sort of an actual video call it will interrupt it and usually drop it was it called. Currently as of this morning I bypass the router and I just have the cm1000 modem hooked up to my PC because I can't even get the router to connect any longer all the lights are white except for the internet light is the Amber Orange I've tried resetting a number of times reconnecting coax cables new ethernet cables you name it I've tried it. 

Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No worries I totally understand! That's interesting, when you notice it happen could you grab the log from the System Information page and let us know the rough timestamp? Also are you doing it over WiFi or ethernet and do you notice a difference between the stability of either?
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Be sure to reboot the CM modem after the XR is connected and online. One thing I've always noticed is that the XR routers seem to not handshake in the right order when being connected to a modem. The modem needs to be rebooted while the XR is online then soon after the Internet LED will change to WHITE. 

What DHCP IP address pool size are you using? Default? 

Are you wireless or wired when you on a zoom call or watching a video?

@A-A-Ron wrote:

Hey Fraser,

First thank you for responding I do appreciate that sorry if that original statement came off as a rant I'm just getting frustrated so I apologize for that. So I have been running just a standard DOS ping test. I will have it running in the background for most of the day and I will get request timed out random lean every 5 to 10 minutes on the average sometimes longer sometimes quicker but that's about the average. I realize for the most part it catches itself back up pretty quickly and if I'm just doing normal internet browsing or what have you I really won't notice it but if I'm on a zoom call or some sort of an actual video call it will interrupt it and usually drop it was it called. Currently as of this morning I bypass the router and I just have the cm1000 modem hooked up to my PC because I can't even get the router to connect any longer all the lights are white except for the internet light is the Amber Orange I've tried resetting a number of times reconnecting coax cables new ethernet cables you name it I've tried it. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7