× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 router. I'm getting "Resolving Host" with every browser. Help

rolly1180
Aspirant

XR500 router. I'm getting "Resolving Host" with every browser. Help

Hello all,

So today I'm getting the dreaded "resolving host" banner at the bottom of my browser...well not just Chrome but everything (Edge, Firefox...)

Running windows 10

XR 500 router, firmware version V2.3.2.56

Fios ONT (not using their router, also)

I've seen posts that this is a DNS issue but I haven't seen any answers to fixing it.

Settings are "Internet IP address:  Get dynamically from ISP"

and "Domain server address: Get automatically from ISP"

Any suggestions?  I've been unplugging and rebooting for 7 hours, so that's not gonna work.

Thank you kindly.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you go to the System Information page on the XR500, what does it say for the connection status?
Message 2 of 7
rolly1180
Aspirant

Hi, 

The connection status just says "connected".

Oddly enough, so far this morning I haven't noticed the resolving host issue.  Not sure if it somehow corrected itself on its own or what...

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay well that's good, let us know if you encounter it again.
Message 4 of 7
cmarin73
Initiate

I just installed my new netgear xr500 and the first thing I noticed is the resolving host issue, it takes about 5 seconds to start loading a website. I have tested different DNS servers , no geofilter, Anti-Bufferbloat to NEVER, default bandwidth allocation. My old router an Apple Extreme never had this issue.  Latest firmware installed too.   Any suggestion?

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Open command prompt on your PC and type ping 192.168.1.1 (if that is the IP you access the interface with) what are the results? Then do the same but using 8.8.8.8 and then let us know the results please.
Message 6 of 7
cmarin73
Initiate

Hi,

It seems that somehow my netgear extender EX8000 was causing the problem with its one wifi option extending the signal from the XR500. So, I  disconnected the option on the XR500 to let the router chose what band to chose automatically. Then, I ran the setup again on the EX8000 ,but this time using WPS from the XR500. I finished by running the smart setup on the EX8000 andn now everything is working fine. 

Cheers,

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7