× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700 Periodic WAN disconnects (still) on latest v1.0.1.8

KyleK
Star

Re: XR700 Periodic WAN disconnects (still) on latest v1.0.1.8

First post🙂...Ran into this thread while trying to find an answer to exact same issue I’m having since I switched from XR500 to XR700. I’m connected hard wired. While playing an online game my internet disconnects and I get a loss. I’m glad someone found a work around but I’d rather download an official fix from Netgear very soon. 

Any news on that as to when the fix will come out? 

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 51 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

No news on next future version.

For now recommend official v1.0.0.20 if you are experiencing WAN side drops/restarts.

Message 52 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Kyle, I believe providing you support on the Netduma forum?
Message 53 of 90
KyleK
Star

Hi. Yes, I already posted about it on there also. 

Message 54 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great, I'll continue to help you there
Message 55 of 90
PastorJohn
Aspirant

Can someone provide a link to the "stable" past firmware please. I too am getting really tired of the continual drops when gaming (on a "gaming Router") Geez...

Side note...Netgear did actually call me back on an issue I had when I first bought  my router... It was logged as an "emergency" call back... It ONLY TOOK  3 WEEKS to hear from them... 3 WEEKS!

Pretty LOUSEY SERVICE... Something is HORRIBLY WRONG AT NETGEAR...

Sorry, rant over... someone, please link up the Firmware so I can download a stable one.

Question: Will all of my saved server info and other settings remain after installing? 

Message 56 of 90

I have been working with Netgear to try and get an updated version. Instead, they closed my case after I said the original firmware resolved the problem. I asked them to keep it open, and I haven't heard back yet.

Message 57 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

It is available on netgear site...google search will show it, but just in case.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060213/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-20

Message 58 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Above link is correct. Netgear are still looking into it so hopefully there will be a fix soon.
Message 59 of 90
RageQuit
Aspirant

Here is a temp fix for all you guys, you have to use 10 gig port on the router as your WAN for now. You need to buy a 10Gtek for Netgear AGM734-10000S, 1000Base-T Copper SFP Transceiver, 100m, RJ45 Connector. This will help, you can find it on Amazon for $20

Message 60 of 90
PastorJohn
Aspirant

So not being an IT professional just somebody who wanted to have a good router to use in my home & to game with, what exactly does this do that the xr700 should be doing for me without any additional cost?
Is this something that someone like myself needs to make this router work as it's supposed to work out of the box without dropping and losing network connection while playing a game on the Xbox?

If someone is so inclined to provide a simple explanation as to what this unit does for someone like me. Please do thank you in advance.

By the way it seems like the initial firmware has provided relief to the constant disconnects while gaming. I sure hope Netgear is working on this problem for their $500 top of the line unit that is currently plagued with many problems.

Message 61 of 90
RageQuit
Aspirant

I agree, brother. But for now this works and hopefully on the next update they will have this fixed.
Message 62 of 90
PastorJohn
Aspirant

So are you sure that this works if I purchase this to use in my router? Because I do like the latest firmware options that are missing from the initial firmware which I am using that works.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm willing to spend another twenty bucks to fix my issue! As long as it really does 🙂
Message 63 of 90
RageQuit
Aspirant

100% it will work I garantee it. I'm one of the beta testers from netduma.
Message 64 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Update to all... my router is now stable on WAN side connection running v1.0.1.8 firmware

So what fixed it?  This is my observation maybe it may help those impacted like me.  My theory is the firmware load itself has also to be followed by a factory erase and hardware reset.  Here is what I experienced....

Original cycle.. loading without any resets

1. Running v1.0.0.20 WAN is stable

2. Load update v1.0.1.2 or .8 unit restarts WAN is unstable

3. Reload v1.0.0.20 WAN is stable

Latest cycle of events...

1. Running v1.0.0.20 WAN stable

2. Load v1.0.1.8 WAN unstable

3. Loaded beta firmware v1.0.1.8 variant WAN unstable

4. Factory erase - unit restarted (did not come back up cleanly), permanent no WAN connection

5. Hardware reset (button on unit) after 5-6 retries with full power off between retries, unit finally comes back

6. Reconfigure unit beta v1.0.1.8 WAN stable

7. Let it run 2 days without issue

8. Load official v1.0.1.8 without any reset WAN stable

Something happened after beta load and factory erase.  My unit had difficulty coming back online and I was forcing hardware resets and power off with a 15min wait time between to try and recover unit.  Unit has been running over 3days without a single WAN drop.  Before it would happen on recurring basis 5-40mins typically between drops.

Last note, I am seeing LAG LAN1/2 uptime timer restarts at various periods as low as 1hr and up to 30+hrs.  Can not say I am seeing any lost of connection (switch reports no crc errrors) so not sure if this is a nuisance issue or real.

Message 65 of 90
PastorJohn
Aspirant

Disregard post
Message 66 of 90
PastorJohn
Aspirant

Well adding in the 10gtek as suggested above has appeared to fix the problem on the latest firmware. At least in my unscientific last hour of Gaming testing with COD BO4... I was even able to set up IPv6 to auto-detect as Comcast recommends and everything's working.
So thanks for the suggested solution! It works!

Hopefully Netgear will figure something out quickly based on this latest information.

So for those like myself who aren't crazy about spending another twenty bucks to make a $500 router work, at least it now does!
Message 67 of 90
RageQuit
Aspirant

I'm happy to hear that, and hopefully this will help others see this post and due the same thing until Netgear gets this worked out.
Message 68 of 90
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for all this extra info guys. It will help NETGEAR in their investigation into this.

Message 69 of 90
Rick6922
Luminary

I only have 400 mb speed,  will this help me too?  I have the NG cm1000 modem. do i plug the 10gtek cable into the modem?

Message 70 of 90
RageQuit
Aspirant

The 10 gtek goes to the xr700 Nighthawk router , on the back of the router you will see 10gig port, you will plug the 10gtek to that. Make sure you power off everything before you do that.
Message 71 of 90
Rick6922
Luminary

I plug it in to the router,  then plug the modem into the 10gtek?

Message 72 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes as far as I understand the SFP port with the gtek cable would take the place of the normal internet port and so would then plug into your modem

Message 73 of 90
Rick6922
Luminary

ok, thanks.  Ill give it a try.

Message 74 of 90
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

By the way, you will also need to change WAN port config via GUI for your XR700.

Message 75 of 90
Discussion stats
  • 89 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7