× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 router dropping internet connection

Alm28
Follower

Xr500 router dropping internet connection

I'm not sure what's going on but my new router keeps dropping the net. The light is a soild orange color. Sometimes it blinks on and off but it's still orange. It was working fine for a few days but now it just keeps turning orange. The rest of the lights are white. Wifi and lan connections are working just no internet signal however our internet is working because when we plug in our old netgear router (r7000) it works fine. Is there some setting or option that I forgot to do or what because I'm getting very flustraded with this.
My provider is epb fi.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Xr500 router dropping internet connection

Sent you a PM with firmware please try with that
Message 2 of 16
tstrode
Aspirant

I am also having the same issue.  I currently running FW V2.3.2.32  I've had this router for about two days.

Message 3 of 16
tstrode
Aspirant

I am also having the same issue.  I currently running FW V2.3.2.32  I've had this router for about two days.

Message 4 of 16
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Please could you factory reset now you have upgraded and see if that fixes your issue? This has worked for others.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the router is connected too?

@tstrode wrote:

I am also having the same issue.  I currently running FW V2.3.2.32  I've had this router for about two days.

Message 6 of 16
t76turbo
Star

Just got this router today anad already having this issue.  I am connected to a Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.  I dont recall the model number but can get it if needed.

I have noticed multiple drops on my iphone but the biggest indicator has been my Nest cameras dropping and sending me emails to tell me they are offline.

Nothing else in my configuration has changed other than this router.  I had a Netgear R7000 router earlier today and had no drops whatsoever.

I did the firmware update as soon as I got this XR500. Looks like it updated to 2.3.2.32

Firmware Version V2.3.2.32
Message 7 of 16
t76turbo
Star

Dropped the connection again and couldnt get internet connection back.  Had to break out an old Netgear router I have as a spare. 

Back this turd goes.  I love Netgear products.  Have many, many products from them.  But this particular one is not a good example.  Already packaged up and return label printed. 

Guess this time I will give maybe Asus a chance.

Message 8 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi turbo, sorry to hear you had this issue. Are you only noticing those two WiFi devices disconnecting or is it other WiFi devices and wired devices as well?

I'd recommend keeping hold of it now, you have a bigger return window than 1 day. What consoles do you have? If you turn off Instant On mode or turn them off fully so not on standby does that resolve the issue?
Message 9 of 16
t76turbo
Star

Thanks for trying to help. I am returning it either way. I work from home most of the time and cannot afford a connection that drops many times in one day.

But to answer your questions.......

I had 5 nest cameras drop plus my iPhone and my laptop. I didn’t check any other devices.

I do have a ps4 pro but do not have it auto wake. I will double check just to be sure though just in case. But I am 99.9% sure I do not have anything like that turned on. And when I am done using them I turn it off. Not even in sleep mode but off. I never even fired up the ps4 yesterday.
Message 10 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like it may just be WiFi devices. Do you have Smart Connect enabled for WiFi? I'm thinking if it's switching between 2.4GHz and 5GHz it might be getting confused. If you disable it and set a manual channel for 2.4GHz and connect the devices to that, does that resolve the issue?
Message 11 of 16
t76turbo
Star

No smart connect. I like to manually assign which network my devices connect to.

I wasn’t using any wired devices at the time of the drops to know if they were affected. I only can actually confirm wireless was dropped.
Message 12 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay manually set the WiFi channel and give the devices static IP addresses and see if that resolves the issues please.
Message 13 of 16
Jaws23
Aspirant

I am having same issues where I have to reset my router each day to get the connection back...very annoying
Message 14 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried the previous suggestions in this topic?
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Jaws23 wrote:
I am having same issues where I have to reset my router each day to get the connection back...very annoying

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7