× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500

SCOOP_12
Tutor

Xr500

Hello - I recently picked up an XR500 and everything has been great other than getting a strong enough signal to the furthest point of my house.  My house is about 2700 sq feet to give some perspective.. so not overly large. 

Is there any way to improve the signal going to that room specifically?  The main devices up there are an xbox used for streaming/gaming and a Peloton bike.  The bike feed is very blurry and stops streaming every minute or two due to the weak signal.   Just want to do what I can to make the most of the location. 

Thanks,

SCOOP

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the placement of the router with in the house? Centrally? 

What is the distance from where the router is place to this one area? Feet? 

Message 2 of 7
SCOOP_12
Tutor

I'll grab the actual distance in feet when I get home tonight but it's basically this:

The router is about a 1/3rd of the way towards the center of the house and the upstairs room is at the far other end above the garage.  The XR500 is on the first floor and the room in question is on the 2nd floor.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

An additional extender maybe needed at the other end of the house, something like a EX7700 or EX8000. 

Message 4 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Before getting an extender I would first disable smart connect and connect to the 2.4GHz manually. It's further reaching than the 5GHz and may boost your range a bit. You could also look online for the best antenna positions to boost range.
Message 5 of 7
SCOOP_12
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  I did do some searching for ideal antenna positions but came up empty for the most part.  I'll give the Smart Connect a try and see if that makes a difference.  If that doesn't work I'll pick up an extender and hopefully that will put it to bed. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

It will. I like my EX7700 with SC enabled on my XR450. Works well. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7