× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

limited internet

Justmitch
Aspirant

limited internet

hi evryone

im not a very with this kind of thing so need some help please .

i have just got the RX500 nighthawk Pro Gaming Router with the DM200 Modem .i have bt internet with is fiber to the green box which is about around quarter mile fromk my home then is copper to my house .

i have been useing the netgear 6400 modem /router whitch has beed fine but i have tryed to install the new RX500 with the DM200 and i have a lot of problems .

i do as i belive is the correct wy to do it which is modem to the bt socket and then from the modem to the Router with the yellow cable .

i get on the dreen lights on the Modem all on and the lights on the ROUTER on but i canrt get on line as it is saying limited internet access so i cant get on line .

im not very good with technologe so im lost to know what to do now

is it a problem with useing it with BT ? or is it me not doing somthing i should be doing but what i dont understand is all the lights are on but as i said its saying limited access

i dont know what to do now so HELP PLEASE  im 70 years and need help if anyone can ?

many thanks

Trevor Mitchell

ps been gaming since i was 45

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: limited internet

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 8
Justmitch
Aspirant

Message 3 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - first of all, very cool to hear you've been gaming for so long!

Could you try these steps please:

1. Try resetting your modem, then rebooting your XR500. Does it obtain an Internet connection after this?
  2. If not, can you set your modem into bridge mode or modem mode and try again?
  3. Finally, if that doesn't work, try factory resetting your XR500. Going through the initial setup will allow it to auto-detect your connection type (here's how to factory reset: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

If that still does now work, I recommend you contact NETGEAR's official support as they may be able to help fix your issue: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 4 of 8
Justmitch
Aspirant

Thanks for your help .

i have tried all you suggested over the last two days with no luck so with some sadness I have sent them back so I’m open to suggestions to witch router and modem to go with or maybe just router /modem in one box  HELP needed lol

yes I have seen such a change in game it over the years and have to say I never believed it would get so big a thing I would love to be around in a few moor years to see where it goes 

again thank you for you help 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What ISP service do you have? DSL or Cable? 

Its preferred to have a modem with out any built in router. Just a modem only. Then any external router like a XR will connect and should work well. I have the XR450. Works with my cable modem. Modem only of course. 

@Justmitch wrote:

Thanks for your help .

i have tried all you suggested over the last two days with no luck so with some sadness I have sent them back so I’m open to suggestions to witch router and modem to go with or maybe just router /modem in one box  HELP needed lol

yes I have seen such a change in game it over the years and have to say I never believed it would get so big a thing I would love to be around in a few moor years to see where it goes 

again thank you for you help 

Message 6 of 8
Justmitch
Aspirant

I have DSL

Its fibre to the green box Which is some way down the road then it copper to my house .

i get a

around 35 /40 mb speed 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask your ISP about what modems are supported on there system. Ask them about a modem only option. If they have one or you can find it as a retail unit that you can buy, try this. Then go for a external router, you can try the XR routers again. If they only seem to support modem router combo units, then you'll have to try one and use the DMZ on the modem for any external router that you connect to it. Disable any wifi on the modem as well. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7