× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

open ports on xr500

MRS911
Guide

open ports on xr500

hello 

i want ask about open ports on xr500 for ps4 ,

i have bad experience with dmz 😞 so i want try to open ports but i dont know which setting i use .

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: open ports on xr500

Firstly what is your physical setup? UPnP should be able to open the ports without using the DMZ or port forwarding. How are you determining the NAT type?
Message 2 of 29
MRS911
Guide

I used bridge mode from ISP router ,,

I didn’t find upnp to open the ports well, because I tried that with cod:MW game and it appears to me that Nat modraete , UPNP only open one ports 3659 UDP !!

If i enabled DMZ the NAT is open but i have bad experience with it .

so now i will try to open ports but i dont know how ??

by Port Forwarding or Port Triggering ?

Message 3 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you disable the Geo-Filter before turning on the console does it appear open? Sometimes the Geo-Filter can cause a misreading.
Message 4 of 29
MRS911
Guide

no is still modraete 

Message 5 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you sure the ISP modem is fully bridged? The Internet WAN port address will show a ##.##.###.### kind of address if it's fully bridged. 

This a PC or game console? 

What is the port being seen and used by the console if you have a game console. It should be 3074. 

Do not use DMZ for your game device. uPnP is only needed. If you only have 1 PC or gameconsole and NAT is single at the XR router and the modem is fully bridged, OPEN NAT should be seen in the game and xbox networking settings. 

Message 6 of 29
MRS911
Guide

my ISP router model huawei HG8245Q 

actully i dont know if bridged with ISP router well , he give me public ip and its work with PPPOE in xr500 ,, but maybe need some settings with bridge mode from isp router .

This a PC or game console? 

What is the port being seen and used by the console if you have a game console. It should be 3074. 

there is only one port i see on ps4 IP in UPNP : 3659 UDP !!

if i used UPNP the NAT with call of duty:MW game on ps4 is moderate 

@FURRYe38 

Message 7 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In WAN Settings switch NAT from Secure to Open, does that fix it?
Message 8 of 29
MRS911
Guide

yes give me open>> i tried before but UPNP is still open one port 3659 UDP !? im not feel good with that in game >>

i think need more ports to open it 

which best way to open port by portforwarding or triggering port ?

@Netduma-Fraser  @FURRYe38 

Message 9 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

This is where you need to focus:
https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/access-network/echolife-hg8245q-pid-20981216

This is a full on ONT and built in router and wifi. You need to do try a couple of things:

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Make sure the ISP can do this with you. 

2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Do you see OPEN NAT on your consoles networking status? 

IF you have PS then the port it's using is correct. 

If you get OPEN NAT on the PS networing status and in MW with NAT Filter set to OPEN and uPNP enabled, this is all you need if you got option #1 configured on the modem. 

Message 10 of 29
MRS911
Guide

After many experiences I have done to find out which is better

with bridge mode the UPNP not working very well only open one port .

without bridge mode i see the UPNP working great and open many ports that needed in game 

so now im using xr500 without bridge mode and i enabled dmz from isp router and put ip ps4 in xr500 with DMZ and enabled open nat from nat filtring .

i dont know why bridge mode not working with my connection ??

Message 11 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's likely the ports just weren't being opened at that time, they're only opened when needed but I can't think why that option would affect it.
Message 12 of 29
MRS911
Guide

wan settings from isp routerwan settings from isp router2020-04-29 (1).png2020-04-29 (4).png2020-04-29 (2).pngdo i need yo add ps4 manually  on  traffic prioritization ?do i need yo add ps4 manually on traffic prioritization ?2020-04-29 (5).png

Message 13 of 29
MRS911
Guide

this my settings now 

I don’t know if my settings need to be changed or not ?

Message 14 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The pictures haven't been moderated so I can't see them, could you upload to something like imgur and provide the links instead?
Message 15 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Those settings look fine, have you changed the MTU? Did you test this to make sure you don't get fragmented packets?
Message 17 of 29
MRS911
Guide

i test mtu in letmecheck.it and i have maximum mtu size : 1492 

so actully i dont know which mtu i choose ?? and i must change it in isp router and xr500 ?

and about traffic prioritization in  QOS ,, Do i need to add ps4 console manually ?

Message 18 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would recommend you leave it at the default 1500, changing MTU won't give you a better connection. As you have DumaOS Classified Games enabled you do not need to add it manually as it is already included in that option.
Message 19 of 29
MRS911
Guide

so i leave it on isp router and xr500 1500 mtu ?

Message 20 of 29
MRS911
Guide

because in ISP router default MTU is 1492

Message 21 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If that is what the ISP is using then you can leave it as 1492 to match the ISP router, just wanted to double check the figure was correct as it can cause issues otherwise.
Message 22 of 29
MRS911
Guide

(From the tests we did, we can assume that 1464 bytes is the largest unfragmented packet size. The MTU size would be 1492, made up from 1464 payload and 28 ICMP/IP Headers and payload information.)

i checked now from letmecheck.it  and you see the result is 1492 .

so now i change mtu on ISP router and xr500 to 1492 ?

@Netduma-Fraser 

Message 23 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If it's already set on the ISP router then you can change it on the XR but there really isn't a need, it won't give you any benefits really.
Message 24 of 29
MRS911
Guide

thank you so much @Netduma-Fraser Heart

Message 25 of 29
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7