× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr500 issues

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: xr500 issues

So completely bypassing the XR you don't get an open NAT? In that case it is either the Power line adapter or the Xbox itself.
Message 26 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

I think I misunderstood what you said. You want me to plug the Power line adapter directly to the modem and then the other adapter in the Xbox? If that’s the case I’ll try that when I get home
Message 27 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The XR is connected to a powerline adapter to get internet is that right? If so then unplug the XR from the powerline adapter, use the same ethernet cable connecting the Xbox to the XR and connect that to the powerline adapter instead. Do you get an Open NAT that way?
Message 28 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

The Xr is connected to the modem. I use one of the Ethernet ports on the xr and connect it to the power line adapter. Then I have another power line adapter that connects to the Xbox via Ethernet cord. This gives the Xbox a wired connection. I have to use the power line adapters because of where my xbox is in correlation with my router and modem
Message 29 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is it possible at all to try and move the Xbox temporarily to plug directly into the XR? Otherwise would it be feasible to get a really long ethernet cable?
Message 30 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

I could maybe try and move it to see if it works that way. Is there any other possible solution to this? Should I maybe try resetting the power line adapters or something?
Message 31 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't like PLA personally as they are very dependent on the quality of the wiring in your walls. I have a feeling that bypassing it will fix the issue, yes you could try that as well.
Message 32 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

I tried resetting them and got nothing. Thinking they went bad when I got the xr for some reason because they worked perfectly fine before. I don’t have a long enough Ethernet cable to make a direct connection and there’s no way to temporarily move my Xbox so that I get a direct connection. The issue is that the power line adapters aren’t connecting to each other. So I don’t know if they just went bad or if it could potentially be something in the router settings that’s blocking the connection. They both turn on and receive the Ethernet but that don’t establish the connection with each other
Message 33 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There are no specific port settings on the router that would just apply to the LAN ports so I don't think that is it as you get an Open NAT through WiFi. Can you still play using ethernet?
Message 34 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

No as soon as I plug in the Ethernet I get NAT unavailable and can’t even connect to Xbox live
Message 35 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you plug that cable into a laptop for example does it receive internet properly?
Message 36 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

The only laptop I have doesn’t have an Ethernet port
Message 37 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's quite hard to diagnose what the cause is in that case as you can't perform any troubleshooting steps to see where the issue may lie. Probably best to use WiFi for the moment then.
Message 38 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

Okay I’m back. I decided to purchase a net gear wifi extender that has an Ethernet port to see if that lets me use wired connection. It’s the AC750 to be exact. I set it up and I got it to open NAT with Ethernet plugged in. However the connection is really bad and I still can’t connect to servers on games. Any suggestions?
Message 39 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is that with the Geo-Filter disabled that you can't get any games?
Message 40 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

Quickly after I said that yesterday, it started working normally. However, I discovered that it will completely disconnect and then reconnect right away. For example, I was on Xbox in a party with friends and I randomly disconnected from the party and at the same time I disconnected from my game. In probably less than 10 seconds I was reconnected to both. Any idea what the issue could be?
Message 41 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Was that with the Geo-Filter active? Do you notice any disconnections on other devices? When it happens again look in the log for an entry around that time, is there anything there?
Message 42 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

No and no. Just checked the log in entry and saw nothing
Message 43 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Even though you're wired, because the extender is connected wirelessly there is always that possibility of wireless contention. I'd recommend using a WiFi analyzer and finding the least congested channel in your area and change to that.
Message 44 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

How do I go about using a wifi analyzer?
Message 45 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Search online for one but Windows 10 has a free one available on the Microsoft Store which is easy to use.
Message 46 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

So what am I looking for exactly on one of these wifi analyzers?
Message 47 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It will show you, probably graphically, what channel your WiFi is using, if there are lots of other WiFi networks using the same channel then identify a channel with none or very few networks on them and then change to that channel in the router settings.
Message 48 of 48
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7