× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr500 router issues with router needing to be rebooted every few days

a247slacker
Aspirant

xr500 router issues with router needing to be rebooted every few days

so I have had the router sense 10/2/2019, it is on the newest firmware, I have factory reset it multiple times and made no changes to the router as of the last factory reset so that I could rule out any changes causing the issues. first cant believe a 300$ router cost at time of purchase at best buy is not even covered for a year of tech support!!! the Router needs to be rebooted every couple days some devices stop working that are connected while other devices still work. you can log into the router but the screens will not load all the way just sits an spins then fails. after the reboot then devices work again for a few days before the issue happens again its as if this router cant handle having 30 WIFI devices connected to it at the same time. I though that was part of the point of me buying a 300$ router. NOT HAPPY with this product if you want support with in the first year this is the only option unless I want to give them 50$ more for just 3 months of support are you kidding me 300$ now another 50$ what a joke this ROUTER IS!!!!! and the company as well I will not BUY another product from them!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: xr500 router issues with router needing to be rebooted every few days

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What devices do you have connected? 

Is smart connect and beamforming enabled on the router? 

Message 2 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would have suggested you get a replacement but you're likely outside of the warranty now. Downgrade to the .40 firmware found here https://kb.netgear.com/000060464/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-40 and then do a factory reset to rule out any legacy issues carrying over. Once done go to System Information and in the Rapp panel options change the number of retries to 5 and then reboot. See if it works better then.

I'd also suggest you sign up to the beta for the next firmware so you can get it sooner as that also may solve the issues: http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html
Message 3 of 8
a247slacker
Aspirant

not an ISP modem, netgear CMD31T i have a 100mb wowway connection. im in a house so there are Neighbors one on each side and then others across the street. 

devices is a long list ill try and get that together and post everything from phones to many computers, game consoles, IP phone, Cameras etc etc etc...

Message 4 of 8
a247slacker
Aspirant

the site shows a hardware warranty I believe, just no chat support, no email support and no phone support. even with it not being a year old yet. ill take a look at your suggestions, the modem is in default config right now other then me changing the name and password for WIFI and admin no other changes. 

Message 5 of 8
a247slacker
Aspirant

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING yes chacked 

Enable Smart Connect  yes checked 

Message 6 of 8
a247slacker
Aspirant

here is the list you asked for 

• not all of the devices are on all the time but a lot are.
  •  
  • 2 ASUS G11CD computer towers.
  • 1 home built Computer tower ASUS main board USB wireless
  • 2 Xbox one consoles.
  • 1 Xbox 360 console
  • 4 Roku TV streaming devices 3 TV's built in and one stick
  • 1 cisco IP SPA525G phone
  • 2 Amazon fire sticks
  • 1 Nest outdoor original camera
  • 1 nest original thermostat 
  • 2 nest protest fire detectors 
  • 4 Iphones 
  • 2 Ipad mini
  • 1 ipad pro
  • 5 treatlife switches 
  • 3 Blink cameras connected through their base unit.
  • 1 aibo robot 
  • 1 philips hue hubs newest version.
  • 1 echo tap
  • 2 echo dots
  • 2 first gen echos
  • 3 WIFi philips bulbs
  • 4 apple watches
  • 2 oculus quests
  • 1 oculus go
  • 1 surface book
  • 1 original surface tablet
  • 4 dell laptops older models

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Definitely try the suggestions I mentioned and sign up to the beta.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7