× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40s lose WAN internet when switched to AP mode

pointsToNull
Aspirant

RAX40s lose WAN internet when switched to AP mode

I am trying to connect multiple RAX40s as APs for a R8000P base router with a switch in between. However, it seems I can only get one of them switched to AP mode and working. The rest work just fine when booted from a factory reset, however when they reboot from being switched to AP mode they either lose their WAN connection (LED goes amber), or "steal" the WAN connection from the other working RAX40.

How come the RAX40s lose their WAN internet connection when switched to AP mode, but work just fine when creating their own network?

Is this a defective device issue or does Netgear just not allow multiple APs on a R8000P?

I'm super confused as to why this isn't working.

I have made sure that the switch is not the issue by trying to connect the RAX40s directly to the R8000P, and the issue persists.

I have also had BestBuy Geek squad come check it out and they couldn't figure the issue out either. They just kept repeating how I should have bought a mesh system.

All routers have the latest firmware.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router, RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Re: RAX40s lose WAN internet when switched to AP mode

How is all this stuff wired together?

Message 2 of 12
pointsToNull
Aspirant

ISP -> R8000P -> Switch -> Multiple RAX40s

ISP plugged into WAN port of R8000P

LAN port from R8000P to Switch

Switch to WAN port on the RAX40s

Message 3 of 12

@pointsToNull wrote:

ISP -> R8000P -> Switch -> Multiple RAX40s

ISP plugged into WAN port of R8000P

LAN port from R8000P to Switch

Switch to WAN port on the RAX40s

Nothing odd there, but you said "multiple RAX40s".

Thought of using one of them as the router?

Message 4 of 12
pointsToNull
Aspirant

Yeah I did try making one of the RAX40s the base router but I got the same results.

Message 5 of 12

What's the modem, if there is one, in front of this network?

Message 6 of 12
pointsToNull
Aspirant

Hitron E31N2V1 which feeds an ethernet cable into the R8000P WAN port

Message 7 of 12

@pointsToNull wrote:

Hitron E31N2V1 which feeds an ethernet cable into the R8000P WAN port

OK. It looks like a standard cable mode, not a  modem router, but it seems a bit fancy. It isn't something that is familiar to me.

The data sheet has a strange layout, with a switch between the modem and the router.

E31N2V1 - Hitron Technologies www.hitrontech.com › wp-content › uploads › 2020/04

Beyond me.

Message 8 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Up front, I can't see anything obvious wrong on the config based yon the description.

@pointsToNull wrote:

However, it seems I can only get one of them switched to AP mode and working.

Only one RAX40 does work as an access point any all other RAX40 are not workable AP under the same conditions?

@pointsToNull wrote:

The rest work just fine when booted from a factory reset,

Not really relevant for the AP mode - as the factory default is router mode, and all clients wil get IP addresses from the RAX40 router where they are connected to (LAN port) or associated to (wireless). 

@pointsToNull wrote:

however when they reboot from being switched to AP mode they either lose their WAN connection (LED goes amber),

The Netgear consumer routers in AP do not maintain a WAN connection in the classic definition. In AP mode by definition it's just a L2 bridge between the port designated "Internet"/"WAN". This could have an impact on how the device does check the Internet connection - I suspect the amber LED is a false indication only as I've experienced this on some earlier tests and remember having read similar reports several times.

@pointsToNull wrote:

..."steal" the WAN connection from the other working RAX40.

How does this appear to you resp. the systems you connect to that router supposedly in AP mode? What comes into my mind is that one RAX40 went to router mode, and started to issue local IP addresses on the LAN/WLAN (using a different subnet like 10.0.0.0/24 with the WAN on 192.168.1.0/24 (default on your R8000P).  

@pointsToNull wrote:

How come the RAX40s lose their WAN internet connection when switched to AP mode, but work just fine when creating their own network?

Not convinced this observation is correct - see above. The IP stack on the RAX40 is active for local maintenance, and should have the IP address configured from the primary router DHCP with reservation or being manually configured accordingly (IP address according to a plan, correct mask, correct default gateway). This IP stack on these routers in AP mode does not make the wireless clients associated to the WiFi radios to reach the Internet, leaving alone Netgear does implement ugly things sometimes, like a L2 DNS capture "relay" which can lead to strange issues...

@pointsToNull wrote:

I have also had BestBuy Geek squad come check it out and they couldn't figure the issue out either. They just kept repeating how I should have bought a mesh system.

Well, in my opinion consumer routers make awful bad or very limited feature wireless access points. When putting up money and time in such a set-up - long before looking into consumer Mesh systems - I tend to suggest looking into Netgear's Insight product offerings.

Message 9 of 12
pointsToNull
Aspirant

@pointsToNull wrote:

..."steal" the WAN connection from the other working RAX40.

How does this appear to you resp. the systems you connect to that router supposedly in AP mode? What comes into my mind is that one RAX40 went to router mode, and started to issue local IP addresses on the LAN/WLAN (using a different subnet like 10.0.0.0/24 with the WAN on 192.168.1.0/24 (default on your R8000P).  

By losing WAN I mean they have a self assigned IP and no internet connection when directly plugged into that router via ethernet.

I'd have the R8000P set up in Router mode. Connect the first RAX40 as AP mode, and all works well. Sometimes even the second RAX40 connects fine as an AP. But the next RAX40 I set up either doesn't get a WAN connection or runs fine but when I go to check on the other RAX40 APs one or more of them loses WAN and shows amber color on WAN LED.

The RAX40s definitely don't unexpectedly switch back to router mode since they never give themselves or any clients an IP. But when they truly are in router mode they work just fine.

Why would only one, sometimes two, RAX40s be able to act as AP but as soon as more are connected it because an issue? Theoretically I should be able attach as many APs as I would like as long as they fit in the IP address space.

Message 10 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@pointsToNull wrote:

Theoretically I should be able attach as many APs as I would like as long as they fit in the IP address space.

Something badly broken on either the R8000P or the RAX80 AP mode implementation, or both.

@pointsToNull wrote:

Theoretically I should be able attach as many APs as I would like as long as they fit in the IP address space.

Of course - also practically - can't agree more. Afraid, can't help much as I don't have any of these devices for testing.

Message 11 of 12
NaoyukiTakada
Aspirant

I set up a second RAX40 and set it to AP mode and the first RAX40 lost the Internet.
After much effort, I was able to get them both to work in AP mode by following the steps below.
1. Unplug the WAN-side cable of the RAX40 running in AP mode.
2. Start the other RAX40 in AP mode.
3. Insert the unplugged cable.
The device name, SSID, and MAC address of the two RAX40s are different.
Why does this happen?

Please let me know if there is a better way.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7