Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Generac loses wifi connection R7800

Baxterdad
Guide

Generac loses wifi connection R7800

Wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with WIFI connection to a home Generac unit. The generator uses 2.4g to communicate to its' Mobile link app.  The connection gets established but is lost after a period of time. I suspect the issue lies within the Generac itself but wanted to reach out to the community in case others have experienced similar issues. 

Thanks for any info or feedback.

Mike

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Baxterdad
Guide

Re: Generac loses wifi connection R7800

Finally resolved. The WIFI module on the Generac was the source of the problem. Service Tech swapped it out and it has remained connected. 

A final thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and guidance. I learned a lot about the router in the process and I'm more confident with it's settings and performance. 

The NETGEAR community is an amazing resource!  Participants can be proud of their work and the knowledge they share freely. 

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 22

All Replies
plemans
Guru

how far from the router is the generator? 

Are there exterior walls between the two?
Are you able to log into the generators page and check its wifi signal strength? 

Have you tried changing the 2.4ghz channel in case there's interference? 

Message 2 of 22
labatt
Mentor

I have a Generac unit. Sits just outside of my house and it has about a 30-foot distance from it to the AP through one window. Signal is low. Look at the unit. Totally metal enclosed. No external antenna. 

Message 3 of 22
Baxterdad
Guide

Thanks for the response. 

The router is approx. 25ft away from generator. There is one exterior wall between them.  The signal is 50-60%. at the generator. I did try changing the auto feature on 2.5g to manual and using designated channels. I didn't try all of the channels but did use 1,6, and 11.  None of these changes helped.  

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Does this device have a ethernet port by chance? 

Message 5 of 22
Baxterdad
Guide

Thanks for your help. 

Firmware version is V1.0.2.92

The modem is not ISP device. It is my personal device. NETGEAR CM600

The LAN cable is CAT5E. I will try a CAT6 as you suggest. 

Unsure if the generator has a ethernet port but I was considering a hardwire connection rather than WIFI if it is available just to put this issue to rest. 

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that if the device can't maintain wifi connections, ethernet wire would solve it. 

Message 7 of 22
labatt
Mentor

Same issue with TP-Link Aps.

Message 8 of 22
labatt
Mentor

Slight problem. No Ethernet connection available. 

Message 9 of 22
plemans
Guru

What modem generac is it? 

Maybe their forums/support has reports of similar since thats the only device with issues

Message 10 of 22
Baxterdad
Guide

Changed the ethernet cable to Cat6. still wont keep the connection. Forums little help. Maybe factory reset but I don't look forward to reconnecting all our devices. 

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

If the device is loosing connection even with a ethernet cable, seems like it maybe the device itself is the problem. 

Did you set up a IP address reservation for this device on the R7800? 

Can try a factory reset and setup from scratch. Just be sure to use same SSID name and password and your wifi devices should auto reconnect after its setup again...

Message 12 of 22
Baxterdad
Guide

Not sure what IP address reservation is so I probably did not set it up. How is this done. 

Thanks for your help. 

Message 13 of 22
plemans
Guru

Message 14 of 22
Baxterdad
Guide

Thank you all who responded to my message. I applied many of the suggested solutions and it appears that the factory reset of the router solved the problem.  Only time will tell if the issue is resolved but I'm hopeful. 

Again, Thank you to all  

Mike

Message 15 of 22
plemans
Guru

Glad it fixed the issue!

Might mark it solved if it stays stable so others aren't still trying to fix it and so they know what fixed it for you. 

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know if you feel this fixed it. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 17 of 22
Baxterdad
Guide

☹️I spoke too soon. The problem still exists. I'm going to reach out to our generator installer for troubleshooting the WIFI and and anything associated in the generator. 

I failed to mention this earlier. This is a new generator installation. Barely a month old. Connection issue from day one. Their initial response was "we have never seen this issue, typically just won't connect not dropping the connection".  I wanted to be as certain as possible my equipment was not the issue before I pressed them to fix this.  I will post again as this progresses with the dealer. Thank you for the advice. Should I change anything in my post/threads?

Message 18 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have asked for a replacement then. Hopefully they can figure this out. Seems to a problem with this device. 🤔

Message 19 of 22
plemans
Guru

Only other thing to try would be to see if you have a cheap/old router sitting around. 

Try connecting that in AP mode (to prevent a double nat) and connect the generator to that. 

Message 20 of 22
Baxterdad
Guide

Finally resolved. The WIFI module on the Generac was the source of the problem. Service Tech swapped it out and it has remained connected. 

A final thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and guidance. I learned a lot about the router in the process and I'm more confident with it's settings and performance. 

The NETGEAR community is an amazing resource!  Participants can be proud of their work and the knowledge they share freely. 

Message 21 of 22
plemans
Guru

Glad to see you got it sorted!

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements