Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE error on R8000

Icecat5055
Guide

Re: Getting DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE error on R8000

Yes I understand that this is not a fix all solution for everyone. I just was trying to get some more information out there if someone might have a small network like mine. I don't get the dns issue on my mobile devices just windows computers on my network. I figured since this was a more consumer oriented device your average consumer wouldn't have that many devices on their network. I can understand why that would be a pain in the butt. Just thought I'd put it out there if someone doesn't want to change the software and have a simple temporary fix.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 26 of 48
jhildeman
Initiate

Final Solution

• Rolled back the router firmware from .76 to .68 and everything works perfectly again.  Upgrade to .76 and everything fails again.  Back to .68, everything good again.  One post this chain mentioned that it had been fixed in a beta version but never made the final released version.  Come on Netgear!  Get this solved so I can get back to current firmware.
  • Old version (working) = V1.0.4.68_10.1.75
  • New version (not working) = 1.0.4.76_10.1.82

Scenario

I browse to a website, a valid functioning and available website, and I get the "Hmmm…can't reach this page" in MS-Edge browser, similar kind of thing in chrome.  It says "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN".  

Evidence

• Error Message
  • F12 Browser Dev tools shows no "request" or "response".  Clearly a DNS issue of some sort.
  • The odd thing is that it could be a site I just went to and is theorically cached. 
  • Also, I just keep hitting refresh and eventually the URL loads successfully.
  • The refresh workaround is only good on "whole page" situations.  When a page loads and then does client side calls to get REST api data it just fails and I can't make it retry so SPA apps are a real problem.  Oddly, keep trying and eventually it might get through.  F5 refresh, click SPA button to retrieve data #FAIL, F5 refresh, click button again, might work.
  • DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAINDNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

References

Work Log

• 1/24/2022
    • Get DNS IP dynamically
    • Set DNS manually to OpenDNS server addresses
    • Set DNS manually to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 addresses
    • No love
    • For some time now, perhaps 6 months, I've been receiving the above error on many simple browse attempts on many different sites. 
    • Tried changing my DNS settings, no success
    • Tried turning off VPN on my router
    • Tried turning off DynDNS on my router
    • Tried resetting my router
    • Browsed (between errors) and found the rollback solution.
Message 27 of 48
Levv
Aspirant

I have the same problem with the Nighthawk X6 R8000. Firmware was recently upgraded to V1.0.4.76_10.1.82 and immediately got DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors in Google Chrome on multiple computers connected to the same network.

Message 28 of 48
plemans
Guru

@Levv 

did you try enabling ipv6? 

Or downgrading the firmware? 

Message 29 of 48
Levv
Aspirant

I downgraded the firmware to V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 which appears to be working.
Message 30 of 48
Carcathian
Aspirant

Yes this works, unfortunetly it will leave your router open to a huge security risk

Message 31 of 48
plemans
Guru

@Carcathian wrote:

huge security risk

Did you read about the security risk? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000064039/Security-Advisory-for-Remote-Code-Execution-on-Some-Routers-PSV-202...

Exploiting the vulnerability requires the attackers to be on the same network as the targeted router. If the person is already on your network, you've done either a poor job of setting passwords or you've let them in the home to access it. 

Message 32 of 48
Fatman305
Tutor

Just created an account to say thanks to the forum members for the only sane solution right now for me: to downgrade to V1.0.4.68_10.1.75. Obviously, I will NEVER get any NetGear product. Wasting my time waiting for a new firmware after suffering daily since 2 months ago when I THOUGHT I was doing the right thing by upgrading firmware (security etc)...and this crap isn't fixed on the next firmware either??? 

My log:

1/11/2022: Updated firmware to V1.0.4.76_10.1.82 - broke the router!
3/30/2022: Updated firmware to V1.0.4.84_10.1.84 - router still broken! Been having an issue with bad DNS server (no websites found on first try but works after refresh).
3/30/2022: Downgraded firmware to V1.0.4.68_10.1.75
3/30/2022: Revert to factory default settings (just to be on safe side). ... Setup | Wireless Setup | Smart connect: Off -> On ... Administration | NTP Settings | Automatically adjust for daylight savings time: Off -> On (time was off) ... Router Auto Firmware Update: MUST KEEP TURNED OFF FOR A FEW MONTHS
**Had to physically power cycle router after changing QoS setting (disabled QoS later, for now), and also after reverting to default settings...**

Message 33 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Also v.62 works as well. NG is aware of this issue. 

Thanks. 

Message 34 of 48
dbarker85
Star

It's hard to understand how NetGear could leave it in this state for so long.  I posted this a LONG time ago   Have been happily using FreshTomato ever sense.

But as someone said, not sure I'd buy a NetGear product again given the lack of responsiveness.

Message 35 of 48
vinada
Aspirant

Finally a new R8000 firmware available.

https://kb.netgear.com/000064738/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-84

Anyone tried yet?

Message 36 of 48
vinada
Aspirant

Ok i tested. DNS problem still there with this latest firmware. Hopeless... 

Message 37 of 48
dbarker85
Star

I don't get things like this.  Maybe they don't want to maintain it because they think people will give up and buy a newer router FROM THEM?  I think more likely people will move on to another brand.  And you know they CAN fix it, since previous versions of the firmware didn't have the problem.

Very odd to me.  Its great hardware--FreshTomato firmware proves that.  Why have crap firmware, not fix it, and tarnish your reputation?  Strange.

Message 38 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after the new FW was loaded? 

@vinada wrote:

Message 39 of 48
robjak
Luminary

Netgear Engineering was able to fix the DNS issue in Sept 2021.  They just have not released it yet.  

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 40 of 48
SmallTrader
Apprentice

The DNS problem was reported by multiple people across multiple models of Netgear routers nearly a year ago. Netgear knew about the problem and yet consistently release firmware versions which did not fix the problem.

Netgear has demonstrated a real contempt for its customers. My advice to all Netgear customers is they should consider carefully do you want to stick with an organisation which doesn't care about its products and customers. For me, I have already given up and moved on from Netgear. Caveat Emptor !

Message 41 of 48
Fatman305
Tutor

I always do, as I, too, like to: 1. reduce chance of easily solvable issues (due to engineers not correctly migrating old settings - or "future" (possibly unknown) settings, in the case of downgrading firmware). 2. log how the default settings change, since my baseline for future configs is based on default + my very own (few) changes (rather than log endless default settings - makes pinpoining "new" issues much easier too - as they're likely due to one of those few changes I've made). Latest firmware is still broken...

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after the new FW was loaded? 

@vinada wrote:

Message 42 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thanks for letting us know. 

Go back to v.62 or v.68 as I believe these two version don't experience these issues with DNS. 

@Fatman305 wrote:

I always do, as I, too, like to: 1. reduce chance of easily solvable issues (due to engineers not correctly migrating old settings - or "future" (possibly unknown) settings, in the case of downgrading firmware). 2. log how the default settings change, since my baseline for future configs is based on default + my very own (few) changes (rather than log endless default settings - makes pinpoining "new" issues much easier too - as they're likely due to one of those few changes I've made). Latest firmware is still broken...

Message 43 of 48
Fatman305
Tutor

Thanks, I did downgrade. Issue was resolved for me with V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok thanks for letting us know. 

Go back to v.62 or v.68 as I believe these two version don't experience these issues with DNS. 

Message 44 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 45 of 48
hashpocalypse
Aspirant

I created an account just to add my voice to the choir here as well.  Thought I was going nuts and tried everything short of re-imaging my PCs.  Was googling for months now trying to find any other common denominator (ISP, Network Card, Browser) and finally remembered today that around the new year I had updated the router firmware.  Thank you all for your previous posts and I can again confirm that downgrading from .76 to .68 fixed all the issues I was having.

Please Netgear, get the fix in place for future updates.

Message 46 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Been running v.84 on my R8000 with IPv6 enabled. No DNS issues. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-84-Released...

@hashpocalypse wrote:

I created an account just to add my voice to the choir here as well.  Thought I was going nuts and tried everything short of re-imaging my PCs.  Was googling for months now trying to find any other common denominator (ISP, Network Card, Browser) and finally remembered today that around the new year I had updated the router firmware.  Thank you all for your previous posts and I can again confirm that downgrading from .76 to .68 fixed all the issues I was having.

Please Netgear, get the fix in place for future updates.

Message 47 of 48
dbarker85
Star

It's amazing to me that with all this feedback proving that it's obviously a firmware problem, they seem to have done nothing.  It's firmware--it can be fixed, which is proven by the fact that I've been using Fresh Tomato for months now and it works great!  It seems really short sighted--I mean, I'm sure they want to focus on selling new products, but this router isn't that old.  I certainly wouldn't ever buy a netgear router again just because of this.

Message 48 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7