Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P Firmware Update Issues

eequalsmc2
Initiate

R8000P Firmware Update Issues

Hi is anyone else having issues updating their nighthawk?

No matter which way you try to update the firmware it simply will not update. I’ve tried manually updating, using the app, hard reset then update, direct access via a laptop. I’ve tried rolling back the firmware too. It was getting stuck on the language table update but that issue seems to have been resolved. It now goes through the full reboot and then just shows the same firmware is installed.

To top it all off there is no way on earth you can contact support. Unfortunately I have 4 or 5 of these routers. Really disappointed in Netgear over this.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000P Firmware Update Issues

What firmware version are you on?

Message 2 of 7
eequalsmc2
Initiate

Firmware version is V1.4.1.50_1.3.10
Message 3 of 7
Abosamra
Initiate

Same issue. I bought this piece of junk more than a year ago and still unable to update the stupid firmware. And the worst of all is the their tech support. Very useless. They want u to pay for tech support on an issue they know very well it their screw up. I wish i stuck with the ASUS router, my previous router. Way much better product and customer service.
Message 4 of 7
jlb4436
Tutor

I am having the same issue. My son bought it for me in May 2020 from Best Buy. Thankfully, he bought the 2 year protection plan. I will be trading this one for a replacement. Hopefully, the replacement will work properly. There are other discussions that show this model has a problem and it seems Customer Support is a real hassle to deal with.
Message 5 of 7
mhelms1961
Aspirant

Hi All,

I am having the same issue trying to update the firmware. The download did not work, a direct conect with the *.chk file connected to the USB port did not work (it showed the hour glass for about 30 seconds then failed) I have power cycled the router and tried the update with the *.chk file again and still no luck. I wish Netgear would please address this issue and the firmware upgrade message is annoying and I'm worried the router may eventually fail. Current firmware version is V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

Thanks for any help!!!

Message 6 of 7
BubbaW
Initiate

My short story....firmware 1.4.1.50 and 1.4.2.84_1.3.42 issues !

*Purchased R8000P AC4000 Dec 2020 Firmware 1.4.1.50

--Router worked satisfactorily  and chose to attempt to update firmware in Feb.....unsuccesful as manyyyyy are aware !

--revisited updating months later since router was still working satisfactorily and VIA these support forums discovered the problem with

Firmware 1.4.1.50

--On 11/29/21 after re-reading many new threads concerning the flaw, chose to re-try the 4 steps I ran across earlier in year

1* updating thru router menu

2* manual download of newer firmware chk file

3 *attempted thru Netgear app

4 *by following How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP client? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Gave in this past tues 11/30 and called Customer service...

* Dealt with first agent, very cordial/helpful....tranferred to next tech

* Informed 2nd tech(Ashish) of issue, also vey cordial/helpful...was informed I would be contacted in 24/48 hrs to further my case

* 12/2 rcvd email approving free replacement with refurbished unit....RMA # 3683766 Case ID 45391292. I personally chose $17 shipment whereby they send unit when available.

* 12/3 Rcvd unit

* 12/4 placed refurbished unit into service and for next few days dealt with DNS and page loading slowness issues. Checked issues on my end, changed DNS servers to google servers....8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 with no sucess

* 12/6 ran across this thread and others threads concerning V1.4.2.84_1.3.42 DNS issues

* Today 12/7, reverted back to V1.4.1.68_1.3.28 and so far have had no DNS issues and page loading is back to as it should be.

Personal lesson learned....will not up date firmware until I check these support forums for satisfactory firmware update !

Thanks,

Bob Williams

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7