Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender

ConnyT
Follower

AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender

Hi, 

I have an Asus ac68u router placed in my basement as close to the stairway I can get it. on the upperfloor I use a couple of year old

Netgear extender model WN 3000RPv3 placed as close to the stairway as possible.I need this extender to provide a good signal to my Bluenode musicstreamer in the room on the otherside of the wall. (Bluenode is a hifi gear connected to my HiFi system to stream music wireless).

My question is if I can get a more stable signal or even better signal if I buy an Nighthawk mesh extender either the Nighthawk x4 or the x6s mesh extender. There is no way I can relocate either the Router as I have incoming fiber in the basement, and no better place for the extender as this is the nearest place to the router.

With the WN 3000 I often get a good signal but it can for no reason go down to just a fair signal.

I might tell that without the WN 3000 the signal I get is down to very poor and that is complete unusable.

I need to use my ASUS router as  I connect my HDD with the music via USB socket. I do not have any trouble surfing the net, and any other trouble with mobilephones computers, just want a better WiFi signal while straming music in Wav files.

Any recomendations are very welcome before I go buy something I might regret.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender

What I'd recommend? is the EX7500, ex7700, ex8000. 

reason why is they're triband. Standard extenders drop your throughput in half (not just netgears). the reason why is they have to receive and then retransmit using the same wireless chip. and they can't do both at once. So it cuts the speed in half and increases latency.

the triband extenders reserve 1 of the 5ghz chips just for router----extender communication. this greatly increases speed and reduces the latency hit they take. Making them work much better. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7