× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Large variance in connection speeds

neal722
Aspirant

Large variance in connection speeds

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System, AX1800 MK62

Having issues with speed on older devices even with good signal strenght. Some of my devices did really well with this router, others had thier connection speed dropped to nothing. The 2.4 and the 5GHz signal strength are good through out my home, but devices in the same room can have completely different connect speeds. One having a rate of 1Mps the other 50+Mps.Before changing to this router, the connections on those devices were OK.  

Message 1 of 7
neal722
Aspirant

When I say older devices, I am talking N band. They are only 3-4 years old.

Message 2 of 7
neal722
Aspirant

Can't get it to work right. Can't get help. Returning it to the store. Will be looking at LinkSys systems.

Message 3 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello neal722, 

Welcome to the community! May you let us know the current firmware version the devices are on. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 7
neal722
Aspirant

After setting it up i updated it to version V1.0.2.76_2.0.28. Then I chatted with support for half a day (about 4 hours). We ended up installing a prior firmware version 1.0.1.26_2.0.18. That appeared to have helped. For 24 hours the devices worked OK. There were still some odd dropped connections, but with a trade off of really good connection elsewhere and great hardwire speeds. Then it auto updated over the night and we were worse then before. Several devices could not get IP addresses assigned when connecting from the sat. Plus the spuratic connections returned when connecting to the router.

At this point I am fedup with this device and netgear. 

A little bit of a vent here. But as an IT professional I feel that this device was pushed to market before it was ready. The hardwire connections are great, better than I expected. However, the wireless stability in a multi-generational unit household is poor to inferior. This device has potential, maybe in 6 to 12 months after all the firmware issues are resolved. But today, I would tell my friends not to buy it.

Message 5 of 7
neal722
Aspirant

There appears to be an issue with the firmware. Here is the proff.

Had issues with version V1.0.2.76_2.0.8. Down graded to V1.0.1.62 the issues went away. The router auto-updated back to V1.0.2.76_2.0.8 the problems returned. I again manually down graded to V1.0.1.62 and the problems went away.

THERE IS A FIRMWARE ISSUE. The above was seen on multiple devices and is repeatable. 

I was mistaken about not being able to turn off the auto-update. It was on the Manual update tab for some reason and off the screen. So I have turned off the automatic updates for now. 

Message 6 of 7
neal722
Aspirant

It appears that even with the firmware downgrade the system is still unstable. The stability is better with the older firmware but still present. Several times a day we are unable to get a "failure to assign IP address" error. Setting a static IP address allows connection to the network, but does not allow for connection to the internet. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series