Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MK62 adding more satellites?

dondale
Aspirant

MK62 adding more satellites?

Hello,

Is it possible to add additional satellites to the MK62 Nighthawk Mesh system? I've looked around, and it doesn't appear that the satellite is sold separately. Is it possible to configure the router itself as a satellite -- so if I want a router and 3 satellites I can buy two of the MK62 system? Are there other devices that would function as a satellite due to the EasyMesh standard?

Thanks so much for your time and attention.

Message 1 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dondale, 

You certainly can! One router will need to be in wireless access point mode. However, the request for an additional satellite to be available for purchase is a request our product teams have considered. At this moment we do not have any further details on if/when a separate satellite would be available. 

Stay tuned!

Christian 

Message 2 of 14
dondale
Aspirant

Thanks so much, Christian! As a followup question: Is it possible to connect all three satellites to the router via Ethernet, through a switch?

Thanks again for your time and attention.

Message 3 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Happy to help, dondale! And yes, both should work. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 4 of 14
Enrique407
Aspirant

Hi,

if i buy 2 Mk62 systems, am i able to use the second router as a Satelite ? and have a total of 3 satelites in the network.

Message 5 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Enrique407, 

You will need to set the second router as a wireless access point. 

Christian 

Message 6 of 14
Enrique407
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. Am I able to configure to use the ethernet to back haul traffic to the router. 

Message 7 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Enrique407 - Yes, it also supports ethernet backhaul. 

Christian 

Message 8 of 14
GJW65
Initiate

Hello
I have just bought a Netgear Nighthawk MK62 mesh satellite system and I’m really pleased with it - works a treat.

I know you’ve said here that there are no plans at the moment to offer separate satellites for sale, so if I bought another system with router and two satellites, could I use that as three satellites i.e. one router and five satellites in total?
Thanks
Gary
Message 9 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R wrote:

You will need to set the second router as a wireless access point.  

This does translate to

• This restriction does scare new customers buying the MK62/MK63 kits
  • This restriction does scare existing customers buying even more MK62/MK63 kits
  • Looks like partially wasted hardware to be acquired
  • Provides massive less functionality 
  • Must be connected to an existing or new wired backhaul
  • Should be configured (as per the fine manual*) using different WiFi settings, so killing the Mesh functionality completely
  • Lack of investment protection
  • Makes the MK62/63 kit a customer friendly solution lacking the ability to extend the coverage

*"Note: To avoid interference with other routers or gateways in your network, we
recommend that you use different WiFi settings on each router. You can also turn
off the WiFi radio on the other router or gateway and use this router only for WiFi
client access."

MR60 and MS60 don't differ that much so a software-wise re-configuration of a MR60 to MS60 functionality can't be that difficult. Some operational issues need to be clarified, e.g. which mode the MR60 does enter following a factory reset (I'd suggest the default router mode), and what is the easiest way to bring up the MR60 as a satellite into an existing Mesh.

When we see that Netgear competitors allow growing numbers of consumer router models become fully functional members being in router or in access point mode for their proprietary Mesh architecture Netgear should hurry up. Soon other vendors will start offering WiFi Easy Mesh systems, either certified or compatible...

Allowing the same kits as a base kit or as an expansion kit does save Netgear from introducing a "new" kit, new packaging, new documentation, duplicated logistics for what is the same internally anyway.

@arunkmony your business - not mine...

Regards,
-Kurt

Message 10 of 14
chapotito
Aspirant

As an access point, how does it work? Will I have to manually change to the access point or will it work like the mesh that it will be invisible to me? Also, where can I find instructions on how to this?
Message 11 of 14
iamck
Guide

Hey

I’m trying to do the exact same thing? Has anyone instructions on how to do this? I can’t figure it out at all?
I have it connected over cable to the original router (as it fails the add satellite sync thing) so I can get it an ip 10.0.0.28 but I can’t log into it to set it as an access point which I assume is what I need to do?

I finally got the second satellite working after 30 tries but just need the router as the third!
Any help very much appreciated.
Message 12 of 14
Chrismerch
Initiate

I purchased two sets of MK62 and I can’t use one of the MR60 routers as a satellite.

Access point is not the same, it doesn’t join the mesh network and I am forced to change the WiFi name. This needs to be fixed, how is it possible that this isn’t supported. It’s such a basic concept and it can rectified with an update. The MR60 should have Router Mode and Satellite mode. Can someone offer insight if there will be new firmware that can resolve this? It’s almost $500 worth of hardware that I’ll be forced to return to the store in exchange for something that doesn’t restrict this such as Eeros. It’s clear that I’m not the only person with this issue 😞
Message 13 of 14
AshT54123
Initiate

I did exactly the same as many others, purchased two sets thinking the additional router could be configured to work on the mesh network, as another satellite and not as an Access Point. I'm so annoyed that it can't function as another Satellite. 

I can only think that NETGEAR are trying to pull a fast one to bring in the $... I mean directing consumers who need more units to buy them individually at ‘huh – why would I pay that for one?’ nonsense prices! I guess I should have checked the forums etc. first! But a bizarre strategy and pricing structure regardless. I’ve a feeling we'll be seeing a few brand new, redundant routers on ebay very soon... @netgear please have rethink, preferably with your customer experience hats on ! Thank you…

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7