Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 and MS60 WAP or bridge configuration

jcm183
Aspirant

MR60 and MS60 WAP or bridge configuration

Greetings,

I recently purchased a MR60+2xMS60 kit.  I'd like to use all of these devices behind a pfSense router which will serve as the DHCP server and gateway to the Internet.  I'd like to set up all three devices as WAPs on an existing subnet, but this doesn't seem to be a supported configuration.  When I sync the devices then click the "Enable WAP mode" on the MR60 (https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MK62/MK62_UM_EN.pdf, page 83), the satellites lose sync and drop off the network. 

Is there some other configuration setting I need to change?  I don't see a way to completely disable NAT.  Should I be looking at enabling bridging (manual pp. 84-85) instead of the WAP function?  The bridging function appears to be tied to the devices' Ethernet ports so I'm not sure that's the right way to go.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: MR60 and MS60 WAP or bridge configuration

How are your satellites connected? 

Do you have them hardwired in?
if so, it needs go to pfsense---->MR60---->switches/satellites. 

The satellites can't be connected directly to the pfsense or pfsense/switch. It needs to go through the router. 

Message 2 of 4
jcm183
Aspirant

How are your satellites connected?

Do you have them hardwired in?

if so, it needs go to pfsense---->MR60---->switches/satellites.

The satellites can't be connected directly to the pfsense or pfsense/switch. It needs to go through the router.

The satellites are connected to the router through the WiFi backhaul channel, at least when the MR60 is not in WAP mode.  Can the ethernet port on the satellites be used as their connection to the router?  The user manual implies the primary use for those ports is to connect another network end device to the satellite.

pfsense---->MR60---->switches/satellites.

That is the configuration I'm trying to create.  I'll throw a switch in between the MR60 and the MS60s to see if it'll work that way.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You can set them with a wired backhaul. They'll actually be significantly faster using a wired backhaul versus using the wireless. 

What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Nighthawk Mesh products? | Answer | NETGEAR S...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7