× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MR60 slows down and drops connections frequently

Tadcrazio
Aspirant

MR60 slows down and drops connections frequently

I have an ATT FIber modem/router (BGW210-700 ) with 1000mbps download  speed that I have had no issues with whatsoever. I recently got an MR60 for more control of my network and having some issues.

On my BGW I Disabled Wifi, enabled IP Passthrough, and set IP to DHCP-Dynamic. initially everything worked good for a few day. I had good range, i was getting 900Mbps download speed in the same room, 200+ at the further point from the Mr60 router, then I noticed that I had really poor speeds, sites weren't loading. When doing a speed test I was getting 2mbps download speed. Tried connecting to the nighthawk app and it was constantly timing out. Power Cycled the mR60 and i was back to normal. Hours later, the same thing started to happen again and i noticed devices i was on the wifi would drop out or say no internet and then reconnect.

At this point, searching around, i thought maybe it was a double nat issue and i set my MR60 router to AP mode and powered off and on again. Seemed to be okay, but then i noticed connections dropping again, slow speeds, and couldn't connect to the nighthawk app again.

At this point, i disabled SSID broadcasting from my guest network and power cycled again.

I'm not sure whats going on, this is my second nighthawk router and the first one was returned for similar issues.

My BGW210-700  appears to be fine, when i revert my settings and don't use the nighthawk, i don't have these issues.

Can anyone point me into a direction to stop this from happening?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Be sure your using the IP pass thru on the ISP modem for the MR. You might set a IP address reservation for the IP address the MR gets from the ISP modem ON the modem. 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 8
Tadcrazio
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V.1.1.7.132

Be sure your using the IP pass thru on the ISP modem for the MR. You might set a IP address reservation for the IP address the MR gets from the ISP modem ON the modem. 

I have pass-through enabled. have not tried reservation

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Cat6 is the cable i am using

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

1700 sqft

What is the distance between the router and satellite

40-45 feet roughly. pretty direct line of sight.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

2.4 is auto. 5 is 152, can try a lower channel.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

1 or 2 neighbors pop up but they are hundred's of feet away.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

How many MS do you have deployed? 

Does the problem appear if you turn OFF all MS units?

Message 4 of 8
Tadcrazio
Aspirant

I only have one satellite, i can try disconnecting it and seeing it the problem persists.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try that. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 6 of 8
Tadcrazio
Aspirant

With SSID not broadcasting i still had issue. So last night, change the 2.4/5ghz channel to1 and 48, unplugged ISP supplied modem. unplugged the Nighthawks.waiting several minutes, plugged in the ISP modem, waited 2+ minutes until it was fully online, and plugged in only the router to the nighthawk.  Now I suppose I wait and see if it drops out/reduces speed again today.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7