Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR80 Won't connect to the Internet anymore (yes it is the router)

wmgpYvH97
Tutor

MR80 Won't connect to the Internet anymore (yes it is the router)

After wasting 4 hours of my day yesterday and now seeing that NG only provides support for 90d on their products. I thought I would write a post here.   Long story short, I needed to move my cable modem and router location yesterday.  Unplugged them, moved them to a new location, powered them up = router refuses to see the Internet anymore. 

It worked flawlessly for months in its old location and all I did was move it.  I wasted hours trying to blame Cox because let's be honest, they are usually the problem. However, when I finally patched 4 x12' ethernet cables across the floor modem > desktop the cox modem is working just fine it is the M80 that refuses to see the working internet.

Tried:

Numerous reboots

Factory reset it

= It still won't find the internet

I plugged in my old AX8 router into the modem = boom works immediately.

I plug my M80 into the AX8, still no internet.

Factory reset the M80 again, = still no internet during the setup wizard.

I have a box of old routers, I have never seen this kind of BS ever.  Is there a real cause here?  Any reliable way to fix it?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: MR80 Won't connect to the Internet anymore (yes it is the router)

what modem/gateway from cox is it? 

Message 2 of 10
wmgpYvH97
Tutor

It is a an ARRIS sb6183.  Purchased outright by myself not from Cox.

https://www.surfboard.com/products/cable-modems/sb6183/

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF both ISP modem and MR80 for 1 minute then back ON with the modem first then the MR80...?

Message 4 of 10
wmgpYvH97
Tutor

Yes.  At least a dozen times.  Again, plug an old router in and no issue it works instantly.  M80 =nothing.

Even plugged into the working router, it does not see Internet. It is like the Internet uplink port is defective or died or something?

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Try this last ditch effort. 

Unplug the coax from the modem. Leave it unplugged for a couple minutes. Then factory reset the modem. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while it still powered on (and unplugged from coax). Let it fully reboot. Then power it down for 2 minutes. 

Factory reset the MR80. Push and hold reset while powered on for the same 7-15 seconds. Give it a couple minutes to fully boot and power it off. 

Then follow this order. 

Connect the coax back to the modem. 

Power it on and give it 2 minutes. 

Connect the lan cable from the modem to the wan port on the router. 

POwer the router on and give it 2 minutes to fully boot. 

Try to go through setup on the router. 

Message 6 of 10
fiber30340
Aspirant

I know this is going to sound a bit foolish, but have you verified if the coax outlet is actually hooked/connected to the CATV system? Ive had a similiar issue like yours when I had cable internet, decided to move my system and router to a central location and had same issue where it wouldnt connect, and took me a couple days to figure out that the new location, while it did have a coax outlet, it was a stand-alone line (the cable line wasant conntected to the whole home coax system)

Message 7 of 10
wmgpYvH97
Tutor

I would like to thank the last 2 posters for their replies HOWEVER you clearly did not read my post. 

The cable modem works fine. 

The coax link is fine.

If I plug my computer into the modem via ethernet cord it works fine.

If I plug another router into the modem it works fine.

Only the M80 doesn't find internet.  How can this possibly just "stop working" after unplugging it moving it and plugging it back in.  This makes 0 sense and clearly indicates either a defective product or some very poor bug in the firmware that is causing trouble on seeing internet.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Or it could be that the ISP assigns ip addresses to 1 specific device. And sometimes it can take up to 30 minute to release them for re-assignment. Its usually only a couple minutes but can take a while. Which is why I outlined the prior procedure to try. 

But feel free to ignore it. 

You can check into support. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Swap LAN cable between the ISP modem and MR80. CAT6 is recommended.

Try updating FW on the MS and MR lastly if you haven't already:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/New-MK8x-series-MR80-MS80-FW-v1-1-6-10-Releas...

@wmgpYvH97 wrote:

Yes.  At least a dozen times.  Again, plug an old router in and no issue it works instantly.  M80 =nothing.

Even plugged into the working router, it does not see Internet. It is like the Internet uplink port is defective or died or something?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7