Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR80 add 2g device

r-bzn
Follower

MR80 add 2g device

How I forced 2g over 5g with the Netgear MR80

login on your router webpage

• Go to advanced settings
  • Customize Network [click 5g customize  button] to activate the separation of the 2g SSID from the 5g SSID]
  • Change 5g settings to an unique SSID and password
  •  and Apply

The new 5g settings are stored and active; you now have two networks, a 2g and a 5g.  You can add an object to the 2g[or 5g] by signing into that 2g[or 5g] network with the item(and with your phone/linked control object).  I just added (2g)  Feit lights and switches to my home [each took about 5 minutes].

• Re-login on your router webpage
  • Go to advanced settings
  • Customize Network [unclick 5g customize button ] rejoining the 2g and the 5g into one SSID [original 2g]
  •  and Apply

The customized 5g settings are stored but not active[available to use latter].  The mesh is restored to utilizing both 2g/5g "networks"  working as one with my 5g connected phone controlling the 2g devices.  

I hope this can help someone. as it  has taken me years [since the day I got the MR80] to unfold this connection problem as you can tell by reading my post, I'm not savvy with the networking jargon but know just enough to be terrified of bricking my system with every "Apply"

happy trails

Rich

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7