× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh 6

jlars
Follower

Nighthawk Mesh 6

I'm unable to access 2.4 G for my Blink system with this router.  Any ideas how to split the 2G and 5G?  thanks!  

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

What mesh system do you have? 

Most actual mesh systems like orbi or MK nighthawk, can't be split.

You can reduce the 5ghz's output and then disconnect/reconnect to see if you phone connects to the 2.4ghz. 

Or some phones you can even set "prefer 2.4gh" in their wifi settings. 

Once you get the smart device setup, you can undo the signal reduction or phone's preference. 

Its just for setting up some smart devices that you have to do it. Its laziness on the app coders part to require you to be on the 2.4ghz for setup. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk MESH products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH MESH products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@jlars wrote:

I'm unable to access 2.4 G for my Blink system with this router.  Any ideas how to split the 2G and 5G?  thanks!  

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@jlars wrote:

Message 4 of 5
MoleMan1957
Tutor

I had the same issue with my Orbi wifi 5.  The Blink cameras worked (I have about 30) but I had intermittent issues with uploading. Long delays and dropped connections. I bought the MK83 (MR80 router) because it allows to split 2.4 and 5 ghz.  Made a huge difference in reliability.  The Orbi and other Netgear routers do not allow for a split.  Netgear removed the ability to telnet to the Orbi which allowed for a hack to split, but not anymore.  Not sure why it makes such a big difference since the cameras can't connect at 5ghz, it should just ignore any conflicts. Anyway.....

Here's the link from Netgear to split SSIDs.  https://kb.netgear.com/000063027/Can-I-create-separate-2-4GHz-and-5GHz-SSIDs-on-my-Nighthawk-Tri-ban....

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7