Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk Satellite Compatibility / System upgrade

eb73
Aspirant

Nighthawk Satellite Compatibility / System upgrade

Hi,

I have a nighthawk mesh system, approximately 3 yrs old. I've been experiencing signal issues lately and having done modem and exterior inbound cable checks, I think it might be the router and I am content to update.

Will my existing MS80 satellites work with any newer nighthawk mesh systems? 

Thanks for your input.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Satellite Compatibility / System upgrade

No it wont. 

1. what size is your home? 

2. you have the MK80 system? How many satellites? 

3. using a hardwired backhaul? Wireless backhaul?

4. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

5. What issue are you having in details? The MK80 system is pretty solid so the better you can describe your issue, the better we can help

6. what firmware is on the router and satellites?

Message 2 of 8

@eb73 wrote:

Will my existing MS80 satellites work with any newer nighthawk mesh systems? 

What is that newer Nighthawk Mesh system? You don't say. If it is an MK8# system, maybe.

If not, then @plemans is spot on.

I have a nighthawk mesh system, approximately 3 yrs old. I've been experiencing signal issues lately and having done modem and exterior inbound cable checks, I think it might be the router and I am content to update.

Might be worth a bit more investigation of that.

Message 3 of 8
eb73
Aspirant

Hi,

Home is 300 sq feet but router is a one end and I am half a flight up at the other end of home.  

I am using MR80 router and 3 MS80 satellites, my desktop (point of frustration) is connected to a satellite via ethernet. This satellite is connected to a satellite midway to the router - i see the chain in the network map on the nighthawk app

Not sure what you mean by backhaul 

things run great and intermittently there is a slow in service where nothing works - connection is practically nil 

Firmware is all up to date as far as I can tell via app, the modem is an Arris S33 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

That size of home, only really need the MR. Maybe one MS at 30 feet.

Having 3 MS would be too much. 

Message 5 of 8

@eb73 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by backhaul 

It is how you connect the satellites to the router, wired or wireless.

Message 6 of 8
eb73
Aspirant

My router is hard wired to the modem, all satellites are connected to router wirelessly. 

The network map in the app appears to indicate that my "office" satellite is connected to another midway to router, I placed the midway as I did intentionally thinking that might help matters. My office satellite is at opposite side of house from router and my desktop is connected to it via ethernet.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you turn OFF two MS and run the MR and just one MS temporarily and observe. 

@eb73 wrote:

My router is hard wired to the modem, all satellites are connected to router wirelessly. 

The network map in the app appears to indicate that my "office" satellite is connected to another midway to router, I placed the midway as I did intentionally thinking that might help matters. My office satellite is at opposite side of house from router and my desktop is connected to it via ethernet.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7