× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Router + Mesh network

imjakechapman
Aspirant

Router + Mesh network

Ok so We're moving into a new place soon and want to start planning out my networking setup. At my current place I wasn't able to figure it out and eventually gave up and just went stupid simple. While this worked, my new house is double the size of our current so I can't just use a simple wireless router and get the coverage I need.

We'll be having CenturyLink fiber connection.

Is it possible to use a wireless router and also the netgear nighthawk mesh network with 2 satellite extenders that extend the same network as the router?

My issue before was I could setup the wireless router from ethernet out of modem into router, and then ethernet out of router into mesh base. But I could never get them to be the same network, it would constantly be swapping connections and internet just wouldn't work. Eventually I just went modem -> mesh base and completely wiped the idea of the wireless router.

Would love some advice / input on how to go about it, especially since I've never had fiber so I know a modem isn't even need since there is no coax cable to deal with and it's straight CAT5 inside of the house.

Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: Router + Mesh network

For a Mesh network you need capable Mesh router + satellites. A regular router won't do it. Look into the Orbi and/or MK systems of NETGEAR.
Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 5
imjakechapman
Aspirant

I already own the mesh network. (Tri-band AX3600 3-Pack)

My question was, can I use them together as one network?

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

No.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7