Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Setting up MK63s

Adk518
Aspirant

Setting up MK63s

I will be setting up this mesh network and will be running ethernet to each access point. The router will need a ethernet switch as more than one device will be connected to it. The ethernet switch will be the GS305. The question I have is will the system function more efficiently having ethernet ran from access point(satellite) to access point or a ethernet run from each access point back to the switch plugged into the router? 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Setting up MK63s

It won't matter with only 2 satellites. You could do it either way and get the same performance. The reason is the gigabit connection is the limiting factor. 

If you haven't ran the cable though, I'd run it all back to a central location. Tends to be easier for management/troubleshooting. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

It won't matter with only 2 satellites. You could do it either way and get the same performance. The reason is the gigabit connection is the limiting factor. 

If you haven't ran the cable though, I'd run it all back to a central location. Tends to be easier for management/troubleshooting. 

Message 2 of 4
Adk518
Aspirant

This won't cause any issues as the satellites are supposed to be connected in succession?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

when hardwired in, you can go either route. Thats the beauty of hardwiring them in. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7