Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridge Nighthawk routers: x8 r8500 to x10 r9000

s0j0
Aspirant

Bridge Nighthawk routers: x8 r8500 to x10 r9000

Hi all,

I just bought an upgrade r9000 (x10) from my current r8500 (x8) router due to plex and 10gbe lan. The issue I'm having is that my router is at one end of the house, and prior I used eero routers in conjunction to reach all areas of my house, but the biggest problem here is that eero sucks at having simultaneous connections, especially playing video games on 3-4 pcs!

So instead of getting rid of my r8500, I was hoping to get rid of my eero. I'm hoping to use my r8500 as a bridge in the middle of the house so it extends the reach to the end of the other side. I tried #1 rated av powerline 2000 and was getting extremely low speeds vs wifi, so that was returned since it didn't work. As a bridge, wouldn't this work since both are supposedly able to transfer fast speeds (especially within lan)? I tried looking at how to bridge these two together but couldn't find anything. Help and insight would be great! Thank you!
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router,R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Bridge Nighthawk routers: x8 r8500 to x10 r9000

Welcome to the community, @s0j0

There is an option to set the R8500 in bridge mode under Advanced Setup. The option is under Wireless Settings and if you scroll down at the very bottom you will see "Use other operation mode".

From that page, you will now be able to configure the R8500 in bridge mode. 

However, at this point there is an ongoing vulnerability issue when you set the router in Bridge Mode. 

Please read further information about the vulnerability here

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @s0j0

There is an option to set the R8500 in bridge mode under Advanced Setup. The option is under Wireless Settings and if you scroll down at the very bottom you will see "Use other operation mode".

From that page, you will now be able to configure the R8500 in bridge mode. 

However, at this point there is an ongoing vulnerability issue when you set the router in Bridge Mode. 

Please read further information about the vulnerability here

Message 2 of 3
s0j0
Aspirant

Thank you so much! Just what I needed!!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation