× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 as a access point

Ollie54
Initiate

EX7700 as a access point

Hello,

i planned to buy an EX7700.  I want to use it as an access point.  I want to connect it to my r7500 netgear router by one Ethernet cable and use the other Ethernet connector to connect to my Windows 10 pc on the second floor where I have poor WiFi.  I want to place the EX7700 direct near my PC.  Will the extender, working as an access point, send a good, fast WiFi signal? 
I have a modem from my provider in bridge with my R7500 WiFi router.  My WiFi abo is 150 mbps. I now get about 7 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band and 30 Mbps on the 5 Ghz band .

Near my router I get 140 mbps on the 5 Ghz.

Can someone on this forum help me?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7700 as a access point

You can connect an EX7700 to your current router and run it in access point mode. You can also connect your wired devices to it. 

It'd work pretty well. A good choice in setup. 

Its expected for wifi speeds to be faster by the router and drop off with distance. Thats basically how wifi works. Adding in an access point can help with that. 

Message 2 of 4
Ollie54
Initiate

Thank you for your fast answer. One extra question: suppose the pc gets 140 mbps bij the Ethernet cable from de ex7700, does that mean that it he extender 'sends' also about 140 Mbps? 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

yes. The benefit to hardwiring in the extender is that it'll be starting at the same speeds. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7