Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 keeps dropping wifi connection

Re: R7000 keeps dropping wifi connection

@Gneisguy13  agreed 100% just glad I know what I'm doing and have that option otherwise I would have already had to purchase a new router!  5 days up and stable on Fresh tomato latest 2020.5 firmware at this point.  I'll eventually replace it as it's about 3 years old at least.  But I want to hold off at I really don't have the extra funds to shell out $200-400 for a good router right now.  Can't go cheap because I have about 20 devices total that use the WiFi on the router.  Not always at the same time.  Use it for working from home, gaming, streaming music, streaming live TV from my jailbroken firesticks, etc....  So I need something with some beef to it!

Message 26 of 54
Gleazon
Guide

@billscott92787 ya I actually have been the 1.0.9.42 version for several months now without any drop out issues. I’m sure it’s super frustrating that it’s happening for you even with the .42 version since I know I’d be losing my mind if it was me..lol..the one thing I find that is a little suspicious to me is it around every 3-6 months all of a sudden I will get the dropouts again and I will commence to login to the router and find out that it somehow updated to the newest version even though I have the auto update deactivated. I’m not sure how netgear is getting around that but it’s happened 2-3 times now for me and I thought the first time that I forgot to turn auto off but after the 2nd time I made sure of it and it still happened again anyway. At this point if/when it does happen I right away it’s because it auto updated and I log on and downgrade it all over again. At any rate, sorry for such a late reply but somehow I skimmed over the response email and didn’t realize I did until going through and deleting old emails
Message 27 of 54
Larry1014
Initiate

I have the same problems with wifi dropping and having to reboot. This happened with first unit after a year. Netgear replaced abd lasted another year. I just downgraded my firmware to Version V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 to factory settings and see what happens. I went to look for another router and everyone says the R7000 is great. I don't know what to do.

Message 28 of 54

Download and flash Fresh Tomato and rep the benefits!  That's what I did and my R7000 has been working great since!  Just google it and you can find the download and instructions.

Message 29 of 54

Just curious what your speeds are for internet and also for LAN transfers. I've been reading that DD-WRT is quite a bit slower that stock firmware, so it would be nice to know what users of Fresh Tomato are getting.

Thanks!

Message 30 of 54
DolceDolce
Aspirant

I'm out of the 2-week window return period with Best Buy and this router is pure junk.  My older router was more reliable.

Message 31 of 54

@DolceDolce Did you happen to update to firmware version V1.0.11.116_10.2.100? I did like two or three months ago and I haven't had a drop out since. Before that, the router was worthless. If you haven't upgraded, do so and let me know what happens.

Message 32 of 54

To be honest I gave up.  R7000 is a TURD.  I went with XB7 due to comcast imposing unlimited internet restrictions and using their gear includes XB7 and saved me buying a new modem and router for WIFI6.  I also use PLUME pods for extensions throughout the house.  I'll never buy another netgear again.  My sisters router crapped out same time as mine dropping 5GHZ band and sucky connection.

Message 33 of 54
Bkgroover
Aspirant

What is Fresh Tomato? How do I get it?
Message 34 of 54

@Bkgroover wrote:

Fresh Tomato firmware - Google Search

Message 35 of 54
Bkgroover
Aspirant

Thanks so much MichaelKenward. Sorry but I am a little ignorant on this stuff. I see that the ARM is recomended for the R7000. When I click on it, there are 4 other folder that open up and I am not sure where to go from there. Can you please walk me through it? I would sincerely appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks so much!

Message 36 of 54

@Bkgroover wrote:

I see that the ARM is recomended for the R7000. When I click on it, there are 4 other folder that open up and I am not sure where to go from there.

I have no idea what that means. What has ARM got to do with this?

I replied to your message:

If you want to now about Fresh Tomato, find its website and read what it says.

Message 37 of 54
PJJS
Tutor

This router is not fit for purpose. They should have stopped making it in 2014. I have had nothing but constant problems with the unreliability of this product since my purchase last year. Netgear Technical diagnosed the router after I connected it to my PC. They confirmed it was defective. I had to pay for a replacement. If not I had to return it and wait for the replacement so I would have no router 😡. The replacement router is worse than the first. All they say is we can replace your router again. I don't want a third defective router. I have asked them to replace it with a more upto date model but I'm not holding my breath. After being a loyal customer of Netgear all my life (I'm in my sixties) I will never buy Netgear again. I hope those of you with this this router get it working okay. I'm moving to ASUS 😅.
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 38 of 54
PJJS
Tutor

My thoughts exactly.
Message 39 of 54
Gleazon
Guide

Ya I had a ton of issues in the beginning when I first bought this 2 years ago but I rolled back the firmware to an older version and haven’t had any issues since. If/when u go get your replacement I would suggest doing the same until you get another router. It solved all my disconnecting issues and some other quarky issues I had. The last like half a dozen or so firmware updates have had nothing but issues so I turned off auto update and left it with same version for over a year now
Message 40 of 54
DolceDolce
Aspirant

How do I update the firmware?

Message 41 of 54
DolceDolce
Aspirant

Olson, how do I update my firmware?

Message 42 of 54

@DolceDolce wrote:

Olson, how do I update my firmware?

This is the most reliable way:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But as with many of these things the manual is always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

Check the section in the manual on updating the firmware.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 43 of 54
DolceDolce
Aspirant

Hi ! Thank you!  I downloaded the firmware update, but it won't go through the process because it can't see my router (I have been using someone else's open network nearby.)  I ended up buying a TP-Link Wifi 6 router that will arrive today.  I tried Netgear APP and desktop and nothing would get it to take me through the steps to fix it via a firmware update because it continued to say "not authenticated" at various points. I'm guessing because it couldn't see it.  I had slow and dropped connections for 2 weeks, always having to reset after watching 10 minutes of YouTube on TV, and then it completely is down to just 2 lights on the left of the router.  I've had it 2 years and 3 months.  

Message 44 of 54
DolceDolce
Aspirant

PS - I tried half the night and couldn't ever get the firmware to load because it refuses to see my router.

Message 45 of 54
PJJS
Tutor

After numerous calls and communication with Netgear I have thrown the towel in with this router. Netgear support was horrendous unless you are paying. Luckily Amazon gave me a full refund after nearly 12 mths. I have since gone for an ASUS Router which is working trouble free. I think it's disgusting that we have to revert to community support because of the very poor support of Netgear. I hope you are able to resolve your problems but I am now so happy that I do not have this problematic router.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 46 of 54

@DolceDolce wrote:

Hi ! Thank you!  I downloaded the firmware update, but it won't go through the process because it can't see my router .....  

That, along with the rest of your description, actually offers a few clues that would have been worth following.

If whatever you were using couldn't see the router, it hints at a configuration problem at your end.

But you jumped onto the end of a log conversation providing next to now useful diagnostic information, so there isn't much point in offer explanations of what might be going on.

I wouldn't bet on it, but let's just hope that you find it easier to set up your new router.

Message 47 of 54

@DolceDolce

I am so sorry I didn't see your message. I was doing some email maintenance and noticed some netgear messages in my junk folder.

I'm sure you are not trying to update over WiFi, but I must say this anyway. Don't do anything firmware related over a wireless connection. Bad things can and have happened to many people. Always connect an ethernet cable. I'd reset that router to factory and make sure your desktop/laptop is regognized and able to enter the routers setup. Then I'd start the firmware upgrade. Since doing it, I haven't had wifi drop out once. It was what saved me from scrounging money for a new router. I see you bought a new router, so I hope this helps others that are having the drop out issues as well.

Message 48 of 54

@lakio04 

Have you installed the latest firmware? That's what changed the situation for mine. It hasn't lost WiFi since.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 49 of 54
antinode
Guru

> @lakio04

Full marks for trying, but you're responding to a scam-link posting,
not an actual user.  Note that "help" there is a link (but I wouldn't
follow it).  The forum moderator has been notified, but prompt action to
remove such garbage is not typical.

The Internet works for the helpful and unhelpful alike.

> Have you installed the latest firmware? That's what changed the
> situation for mine. It hasn't lost WiFi since.

As always, an actual version number would be more useful than your
opinion of what's "latest" today (or whenever you got it).

Message 50 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7