Router Log-in

PlayaGal
Tutor

Router Log-in

Hi,
All of my devices but one seem to be on the 2.4gh band. Consequently the connection to the Roku stick is not great. I am trying to log into the router to change to Smart Choice so it will automatically choose the best band. admin and password do not work. I do not remember setting any other up. What is the best way to proceed please? Thank you very much!
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 67

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Router Log-in

The best way is to enable Smart Connect, and let the technology work as it is supposed to do and to be.

@IrvSp any proof Smart Connect does load balancing targeting the same number of clients on each radio? 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 67

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Are you logging in via app or via a browser? Try via the browser. Also try not to use autofill. Just in case that's causing the problem. 

If you're accessing it via the browser, you can hit cancel, enter your serial number and then you'll have to answer the security questions you setup. Provided you do that, it should give you the password. If you don't remember your password, you might need to reset it.

Default login: admin

default password: password

CM2000-> RAXE500-> GS716v2-> WAX218-> EX8000
Message 2 of 67
PlayaGal
Tutor

Thank you for the fast reply Plemans!
I was trying through the safari browser on my iPhone. I may have initially connected all using a PC. I am sorry to ask this but would I have created a (router log in) UserID and Password at some point during set up? I don’t recall doing that. In all honesty connecting new and old devices to the router my head is swimming with log on credentials and I don’t see where I wrote this down.
Thank you very kindly!
Message 3 of 67
schumaku
Guru

@PlayaGal wrote:
All of my devices but one seem to be on the 2.4gh band.

Reads to me like a problem with the 5 GHz reach in your environment... SmartConnect won't help much.

Message 4 of 67
PlayaGal
Tutor

Thanks for the reply Schumaku (Sensei).
I just don’t know. The first few days only one iPhone was on the 2.4gh band and everything else on the 5gh. Now it’s the opposite. I figured that the router was choosing the best band for each device even though the slide is off (in the Nighthawk app) for Smart Connect. As I mentioned in a prior post, when I moved the slide to “on” I lost device connection to the router and had to start over. So, I thought I would try it through routerlogin. I thought I was going to love the router and in fact it works much better than our 10 year old Netgear. But without this community there is not a lot of help for new users or infrequent users. What concerns me is that the Roku box is 8 feet from the router yet I am getting only a “good” signal strength and that was after raising the router 10 inches higher onto another table. One of the reasons we got a new Router was all the buffering and stopping on DirecTV and Roku.
I am aware that our DTV receiver is known for issues but their solution is to charge for a new one. So far better reception than before but I have no idea how I would know if the router is working properly, is faulty or other issues are going on. It’s discouraging. Sorry to whine! Thanks so much for all your help!
Message 5 of 67
IrvSp
Master

Some of what you say makes no sense to me?

First, Smart Connect, and what is does when set. With it on, ALL SSID's share the SAME SSID and PASSWORD. You MANUALLY connect to that ONE SSID. The router 'supposedly' knows enough to put the proper devices on the proper band. Unfortunately, that is in theory. NG's implementation seems to be a 'load leveling' method. That means it will try to keep the same number of devices on each SSID. It is not a 'switching' implementation either, that it would dynamically load level. Once on a band, the device stays there.

In theory, all the devices the senses is faster will go to the 5Ghz band, and the slower to the 2.4Ghz band, until the number on the bands are uneven than it doesn't care, a device will be put on the band with the least devices.

That is what I discovered on the R8000 and so did SMALL BUILDERS NET that reviewed that router. More than likely all NG routers act like this.

Now you said Smart Connect was off.  With that being true, it can get 'dicey'.

You have to MANAULLY connect to an SSID the first time. If you had previously connected to both SSID's, that is where you can run into the devices being not on a band you want. Especially mobile devices vs. a desktop PC on a desk. The reason being the device usually will connect to the STRONGEST SSID signal. This means it might depend on where it was turned on and if it moved to the outer range of the SSID signals. The 2.4Ghz signal will generally travel farther than the 5Ghz. However, towards the outer limits of the SSID's, the 5Ghz will be stronger but not as far reaching as the 2.4Ghz SSID. Once on an SSID devices will usually stay there until it sees the signal to weak to use and will switch when it finds a stronger signal.

Basically Smart Connect will not solve this.

Best way to keep the devices on the specific bands you want. On each device you have determine which SSID you want to be on. Then on that device FORGET the other SSID. That will fix it, again, assuming the 5Ghz band is working properly. Note, house construction can change the strength of the signals, and the 2.4Ghz band is more likely to have interference weaking the signal as well.

Message 6 of 67
PlayaGal
Tutor

Thank you for the reply and helpful information IrvSP. It does not surprise me that what I posted doesn’t make sense. This is way more than I expected to have to do to set up a new router and connect everything. Now posters are discussing corrupt firmware updates. Our previous NETGEAR Router seemed so much less trouble. Or maybe we just didn’t know about or understand these issues. It too was a dual band however only one SSID or choice showed when we were connecting printers or phones or other wireless devices. This Router appears as Netgear07 and 5g. Or at least it sometimes does. My husband connected to 5g with his iPhone. Not knowing 5g was also our router I selected Netgear07 which apparently is the name/choice for the 2.4gh band. Setting up the Router I didn’t realize the bands could or should have two SSID so they both use the same SSID and password. There was not a good explanation in the start up guide of what Smart Connect is. Looking at it on the NIGHTHAWK app I can see it is not turned on. When I did turn it on My devices lost their connection, I got errors saying the router could not be found. I ended up rebooting the modem and router and reconnecting devices one at a time as I originally did. This is when I noticed I could not connect my phone to 5g. Since then most times when I check to see what is connected to which band printers, DirecTV, my phone and now the Roku Stick are all using the 2.4gh band and my husbands phone is on 5g. Even when I disconnected my phone by “forgetting the network and then reconnecting to 5g when I letter checked connected devices through the Nighthawk App my phone was back on 2.4gh. Oddly enough running slows tests through the Nighthawk App the speeds reach 10-12mbps (we have DSL). If I check my iPhone while it’s connected to 2.4gh and use the ookla speed test it reaches about 1/2 that speed. Connected to 5g it reaches the same speeds as through the Nighthawk App. I am thinking about contacting our DSL provider to ask if our DSL supports 5g. I hope that makes more sense or is clearer. I apologize for any confusion, I am still learning. I appreciate everyone’s patience and kind assistance!
Message 7 of 67
PlayaGal
Tutor

IrvSP- Thanks for the great explanation of what the Smart Connect button is supposed to do. I am not sure it does anything for my situation other than disconnect devices from the router. Incidentally I did not turn it off.
I followed the connection instructions through Netgear’s website, the QuickStart guide and the Nighthawk App but did not adjust or change anything that wasn’t addressed. Since then I have used that app to look at settings, devices connected, traffic etc. it was then that I saw the Smart Connect slider/button and noted it was off.
Thanks again for all your assistance!!!
Have a great morning!
Message 8 of 67
PlayaGal
Tutor

I just realized that my post had veered off the log-in topic. Sorry. I just want to clarify for those who were trying to assist, I have not yet logged-into the router. I will try from a pc (not my iPhone) later today. As for the Roku having only a “good” signal strength yet being located 6 ft from the router, previous posts have stated that Roku runs at 2.4gh so maybe this is the best we will do, if I am understanding that properly. Thank you all. I will check for replies when I get back this afternoon.
Message 9 of 67
IrvSp
Master

I'm afraid you might still be confused and so am I?

@PlayaGal wrote:

Our previous NETGEAR Router seemed so much less trouble. Or maybe we just didn’t know about or understand these issues. It too was a dual band however only one SSID or choice showed when we were connecting printers or phones or other wireless devices.

Might help if you posted that model number? It seems that it would have to have had Smart Connect on to do what you are saying... without it on, you should see 2 distinct SSID's being broadcast.

@PlayaGal wrote:

This Router appears as Netgear07 and 5g. Or at least it sometimes does. My husband connected to 5g with his iPhone. Not knowing 5g was also our router I selected Netgear07 which apparently is the name/choice for the 2.4gh band.

Well, the actual DEFAULT SSID's are listed on the bottom label of the router. They should start with 'NETGEAR' and usually have a number after it. Even on the Dual bands only one SSID, the 2.4Ghz is shown. That is in case you can only connect via wireless. Once connected you go to the WIRELESS tab on a browse login to the GENIE GUI and you can then see the DEFAULT 5Ghz SSID and you CAN change either or both. If you turn on Smart Connect the 2.4Ghz SSID and password is the only one that will be broadcast.

@PlayaGal wrote:
Looking at it on the NIGHTHAWK app I can see it is not turned on. When I did turn it on My devices lost their connection, I got errors saying the router could not be found. I ended up rebooting the modem and router and reconnecting devices one at a time as I originally did. This is when I noticed I could not connect my phone to 5g.

Yes, this is probably correct. Switching to it from it off probably did disconnect you and you would need a reboot. By the way, using the NightHawk app to me is NOT the way to go. It has limited functions. Better way is to use a BROWSER and for the URL enter the IP Address (or ROUTERLOGIN.NET) to get to the 'real' Genie Graphical User Interface (GUI). There supply the same USERID and PASSWORD (default is admin and password unless you changed it during setup) and you'll have a lot more capabilities to manage the router.

@PlayaGal wrote:
This is when I noticed I could not connect my phone to 5g. Since then most times when I check to see what is connected to which band printers, DirecTV, my phone and now the Roku Stick are all using the 2.4gh band and my husbands phone is on 5g.

Point of confusion for me. At this point from what you posted it seems SMART CONNECT was enabled? If that is the case, the router 'decides' who connects to what? I'll assume your husband's phone is newer? Probably AC speed capable while your's might not be? Other than the phones, those are all generally 2.4Ghz devices, so it would be normal for the router to place them there. As I mentioned before, Smart Connect is not a DYNAMIC version but a LOAD LEVELING implementation. The actual band the device connects to might be depending on time connected and other devices already connected. It might also be that it was determined your phone would work better on the lower band, especially if it connected far from the router. The BEST way to do it, TURN OFF SMART CONNECT and then CUSTOMIZE the 2 SSID's to be UNIQUE and also identifies the band, like ROUTER2 and ROUTER5 for the 2 bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) and then connect the devices to those SSID's as you see fit. Be aware, connecting a 2.4Ghz ONLY device, like a printer for instance, can and will slow down the 5Ghz SSID for ALL devices that connect to it.

@PlayaGal wrote:
Oddly enough running slows tests through the Nighthawk App the speeds reach 10-12mbps (we have DSL). If I check my iPhone while it’s connected to 2.4gh and use the ookla speed test it reaches about 1/2 that speed. Connected to 5g it reaches the same speeds as through the Nighthawk App.

That makes sense to me. The NightHawk app speed test done on the Router, not your phone. Any WIRELESS devices speed depends on many factors. One is what is the device RATED speed, today, usually N or AC, and that along with distance from router and the number of Antennea's the phone has determines speed. The 2.4Ghz SSID is good for at least 300Mbps. What is the DSL TRUE speed. DSL speed it the true number you should be getting on the ROUTER or via a WIRED CONNECTION. Now I don't understand why at 5Ghz connection the speed is faster? This could be a Firmware on the router issue.

@PlayaGal wrote:

I am thinking about contacting our DSL provider to ask if our DSL supports 5g. I hope that makes more sense or is clearer.

Don't bother doing that. The router is the one managing the WIRELESS (USUALLY unless you have a modem/router from your ISP, what model is it?) SSID's. However this sentence makes me think the ISP's modem is also wireless and active? If so, it could be a problem and interferring? You might also be connected to it wirelessly, hence the two different SSID's you've seen, NETGEAR07 (which I'm sure IS the router) and 5G which would be unless you altered the setting? Could be coming from the ISP modem/router? Really need the ISP modem model I guess to be sure (or how the signal get to the R7000P?

Message 10 of 67
schumaku
Guru

The best way is to enable Smart Connect, and let the technology work as it is supposed to do and to be.

@IrvSp any proof Smart Connect does load balancing targeting the same number of clients on each radio? 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 67
PlayaGal
Tutor

Thank you Schumako
I am going to do that!
I appreciate your assistance!
Have a great day!
Message 12 of 67
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku, I went by reviews and what I've read.

For instance, from SMALL NET BUILDER site which I trust:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32489-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6-review-pa...

------------

The R8000's real promise is in improving total wireless throughput with mixes of client types. And here, the R8000 is a work in progress. NETGEAR chose to let the R8000 perform only a few tricks out of Broadcom's entire XStream technology catalog. So you might be better off manually assigning clients to its two 5 GHz radios, instead of using the very simple (and static) client assignment algorithms currently implemented.

------------

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32474-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6-first-loo...

-----------------

Given the capabilities I saw in Broadcom demos, NETGEAR appears to have dialed XStream's capabilities down to a very simple level. Radio assignment appears to be based strictly on supported link rates, not the actual link rate in use. And NETGEAR has said it disabled dynamic radio assignment, citing problems it found with some devices not liking being steered. This bears another look, which I will do in Part 2, along with OpenVPN performance and full wireless testing.

------------------

A later review with more testing:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32474-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6-first-loo...

------------------

Smart Connect

I mentioned earlier that I'm still finalizing the new SmallNetBuilder Wireless Testbed, so won't be presenting complete wireless performance data in this part of the review. Instead, I chose to explore NETGEAR's SmartConnect feature.

To recap, SmartConnect is NETGEAR's implementation of Broadcom's XStream architecture. SmartConnect uses two 5 GHz radios and assigns client to each one when they connect. The assignment is static until the connection between router and client is broken.

Dynamic client assigment is part of the XStream architecture, but vendors can choose which XStream features they use. NETGEAR told me they disabled dynamic client assignment because some devices "do not make a graceful switch".

--------------

Now the R8000's f/w was updated recently to cover all 3 bands. Here is where I 'drew' the 'load balancing' from:

https://kb.netgear.com/25345/What-is-load-balancing-and-how-does-my-Nighthawk-X6-R8000-router-use-th...

I guess I could have misread it though? Maybe that is how you can USE the Tri-bands, but when I had SC enabled and actually looked where the devices were I found mixes of N and AC on both 5Ghz bands and some N and AC even on the 2.4Ghz with all bands fairly even. Of course when a device left the LAN it was removed from the band so there were differences at some points when I looked. This was with the tri-band f/w.

Message 13 of 67
PlayaGal
Tutor

Hello IrvSP-
I am so sorry to have confused you.
I really appreciate your detailed assistance with each part of my question. I would like to send screen shots of what I see but am not sure that is possible. In lui of that I am going to reread your notes and try to log into the router using a PC. Apparently I cannot send more than one photo. I wanted to send a screen showing Smart Connect turned off. (Which is the way the app was before I turned it on and lost connections. ) the last screen was to be a screen shot of all the devices connected to the 2.4gh band. If you would like to see them I can send them. I do feel like I have taken up way too much of your time. Thanks so much!
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 14 of 67
IrvSp
Master

OK, I can see the single screen capture... the NETGEAR07, NETGEAR07_EXT (I'll assume this is a GUEST NETWORK?), and NETGEAR07_5G.

I'll assume you've not modified them either and are the router defaults. NETGEAR07 is the 2.4Ghz SSID, and the NETGEAR07_5G is the 5Ghz SSID. So if you have a 2.4Ghz devices, connect it to the NETGEAR07. Have and AC device connect it to the NETGEAR_5G SSID.

N speed devices can be 'tricky'. Putting a slower device on any band can slow down ALL devices on that band (SSID). However, with your ISP speed, max. of 12Mbps, ALL devices will run at that speed. Should NOT make a difference. However you said it did, and that can be either interference on the 2.4Ghz or your modem is also a router with a 2.4Ghz wireless enabled. Probably not as your screen capture only showed those 3 SSID's.

Slow 2.4Ghz could be a load from another device on that SSID causing the slowdown (test with only the phone connected on 2.4Ghz to see if it is slow or speeds up with no other devices connected) or the firmware you are running on the router, especially if V1.0.9.64.

You can add more than one picture, but you have to use the PHOTOS icon on the menu. However, those do not appear with the reply. They are not shown until a moderator approves it which can take sometime.

Message 15 of 67
PlayaGal
Tutor

Thanks!
The ext is a WiFi range extender that we used with our previous router to get better reception in a bedroom. I connected it again to see if it made a difference. I will stave the photo of all the devices connected to the 2.4 band. There is one that got cut off. That’s the Netgear WiFi Range Extender. Hubby isn’t home so his phone sitting alone on the 5g is not showing. His is an iPhone 5s. Mine is a 6s. I am waiting for a Avast Smart Scan on the laptop to finish then I will try to log into the router. Thanks for you patience and help! Oh and someone asked about my firmware it updated during set-up. It is now 1.0.9.64.... just in case that is helpful info.
Message 16 of 67
schumaku
Guru

V1.0.9.64 does translate to a R7000, not the originally tagged R7000P. But slowly I start to understand the wireless issues - Netgear seems to have bigger issues on this device - hope the .64 does work good for you!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 17 of 67
IrvSp
Master

That SCREEN CAPTURE is quite interesting. You are on an iPhone, and I use an Android... Nighthawk app, and it appears they are different? I do NOT and can't see the band (2.4Ghz nor 5Ghz) and device is on? If I click on the signal power I can see the devices IP Address and Connection speed, but NOT the SSID it is on?

I opened NightHawk on my iPad Pro running iOS 12.2 and it is almost the same, but it doesn't have the 'i' with a circle around it at the top of the list. If I sort by Connection Type the top shows UNKNOWN, not the SSID I am on? Could be I have an R8000 and it is a Tri-band. The OLD Genie mobile app (no longer works) was better at showing what was going on.

I wouldn't trust that app, you have to go to the ATTACHED DEVICE page on a Genie GUI in a Browser to really see what it is connected to or look at the NETWORK connection on a device.

See my Android Screen show (sorted by IP Address) and my device list connected in the browser.

Message 18 of 67
schumaku
Guru

@PlayaGal wrote:
I will stave the photo of all the devices connected to the 2.4 band. 

No idea what's the purpose of this information in the header stating "2.4 GHz (i)" - never seen that - what shows up if touching that (i)?

To see the details of each device, click on each device line, and the complete information will pop-up - including the "Connection Type" where you will see "Wired", "2.4GHz", or "5GHz".

Message 19 of 67
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

That SCREEN CAPTURE is quite interesting. You are on an iPhone, and I use an Android... Nighthawk app, and it appears they are different?

That "2.4GHz (i)" is interesting indeed - don't see neither any text there nor an (i) - Android App, connected to R9000 1.0.4.28

@IrvSp wrote:

I do NOT and can't see the band (2.4Ghz nor 5Ghz) and device is on?

Also not when you pop-up each entry? Compare the attached screenshot...

@IrvSp wrote:

If I click on the signal power I can see the devices IP Address and Connection speed, but NOT the SSID it is on?

Thta's OK, in the year 2019 you should enable Smart Connect anyway 8-)

Message 20 of 67
IrvSp
Master

Don't know what you are looking at, but my Android phone doesn't show that info, and I did sort on Connection type as well. See attached. iPad Nighthawk is about the same, but it shows UNKNOWN where  she had 2.4Ghz. Probably due to the R8000's Tri-band possibly.

Message 21 of 67
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku, I suspect the app on iOS. My iPad shows UNKNOWN whe she has 2.4Ghz. Tri-band on the R8000 probably is the cause. Maybe on the dual band it picked up the first SSID and shows that. Miss the old Mobile Genie, did more and showed more info. NG 'dumbed' down Nighthawk. Tried opening Mobile Genie on the iPad and got a message it is no longer supported (possible not updated on the iOS to V12.1) and update button to get NightHawk app?

Message 22 of 67
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

iPad Nighthawk is about the same, but it shows UNKNOWN where  she had 2.4Ghz. Probably due to the R8000's Tri-band possibly.

Nope - the 2.4 GHz (i) was on top of the list, and @PlayaGal  had not shown any more details. The "unknown" on yours is a Device Type.

As I said - Netgear has a big can of worms with this App and all the different routers - where each and every one appears to be and behave different. It starts wiht Gar and end on bage.

Message 23 of 67
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

Thta's OK, in the year 2019 you should enable Smart Connect anyway 8-)

Maybe you can (yes I can but...) but I had devices all over the 3 bands... and some AC devices on the 2.4Ghz band. The R8000 had originally only had the 2 5Ghz bands managed by Smart Connect, and that worked OK. New F/W enabled it for all 3 bands, and then I had noticed the slowdowns and the devices evenly attached to almost any band with no rhyme or reason. So I disabled it.

Message 24 of 67
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

As I said - Netgear has a big can of worms with this App and all the different routers - where each and every one appears to be and behave different. It starts wiht Gar and end on bage.

You have to use the correct Technical Acronym, GIGO! Smiley Very Happy Google it if you don't know :-)

Message 25 of 67
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 66 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements