Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired Ethernet line to pc is running at 100mbps instead of 1gb

dbehremo
Tutor

Wired Ethernet line to pc is running at 100mbps instead of 1gb

I just connected my pc via ethernet cable (Cat5e) to the nighthawk r7000.  It blinks red and is running at 100mbps, instead of 1 gb.

The troubleshooting steps I have already done are as follows.

When connecting said PC directly into modem, the connection is 1gb.

Connecting the same Cat5e cable from the same port within the r7000 to my laptop, I also get a 1gb connection.

I also tried all ports on the back of the r7000, same results, 100mbps.

So my guess is there is some communication issue between the router and the computer.

any help would be appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 31

Accepted Solutions
dbehremo
Tutor

Re: Wired Ethernet line to pc is running at 100mbps instead of 1gb

Okay so I purchased a ethernet cable tester, turns out the cable was indeed bad.  I went ahead and created a new cable, and it does have a gigabit connection. 

Lesson learned dont trust your laptops lan port, try more than on device, and most likely it is the cable.

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 31

All Replies
William10a
Master

Do you what the max rated speed of the pc's lan port is?

You said a laptop you have gets the 1 gb connect if connected the routers lan ports so it has to be the lan port on the pc.

It's is possible that the lan port is only a 10/100 mb port or a bad lan cable.

Sound like th pc may have 10/100 mb port is this pc a desk top or laptop?

If this is the case you will only get 100 mb max?

A desktop you could upgrade the lan card or add a 1 gb lan card a laptop mey be a usb to 1 gb lan adaptor 

Message 2 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

The pc gets a 1gb connection if I have it directly wired to one of the ports on the modem.
The pc is a desktop.
I have ran a gigabit network on it with my previous router/modem combo.
I tested the same cable with the laptop and it works fine.
Message 3 of 31
William10a
Master

Have you tried to reset the lan port on the computer to tell the computer about the new router?

Message 4 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

When plugging it in, the pc asked me to allow it to connect. After that I disabled the LAN port and enabled it. Tried to update drivers, however drivers were up to date. Power cycled the modem, computer and router.
Message 5 of 31
William10a
Master

A strange test do you have 1 gb switch to place between the router and the computer's lan port to see if the 1 gb speed returns reminds of another there were speed issues the switch fixed it.

Message 6 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

I do not have a switch at this time. I did plan on purchasing one in the near future.
Message 7 of 31
William10a
Master

I hope it works if it does I just acts like a buffer in way I guess but it you shoud not need it.

Message 8 of 31
TheEther
Guru

Does the network driver on the PC have a setting to control the speed of the port?  If yes, try setting it to Auto.  I've read of instances (not specific to Netgear) where forcing the speed to 1 Gigabit can be counterproductive.

Message 9 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

I tried to look for one but didn't see anywhere that I could change the speeds.
Message 10 of 31
William10a
Master

I remember of a past posting that a 10/100mb lan had problems with the a netgear's  1gb port they could only get a very low speed on that lan feed. It was a older lan card the poster had but the 1 gb switch fixed the issue I can see a possible that new and old want to fight the switch seem to stop them. I understand that a gb lan port on a older computer should be the same standard as today but some how they do not also see eye to eye and go to war.

Message 11 of 31
StephenB
Guru

If you have another ethernet cable, then I suggest you try that.  Though I suspect it will behave the same way (based on the other tests you've run) it's still worth a try.

@dbehremo wrote:
I tried to look for one but didn't see anywhere that I could change the speeds.

Try selecting the adapter in the windows device manager. With Intel NICs there often is a "Speed & Duplex" settings included in the "advanced" tab of the NIC properties.

If you see a setting for "energy efficient ethernet" (or similar wording) try turning it off, and see if there is any difference.

Message 12 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

The NIC card that is on the motherboard is only 3 years old tops.

Message 13 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@dbehremo wrote:

The NIC card that is on the motherboard is only 3 years old tops.

The other poster had a different issue from yours anyway.  He was negotiating the right link speed, but wasn't getting good performance. 

Message 14 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

Okay so I have found it

It is a intel r I218-V adapter

It is under advanced

I found 2 interesting things one is gigabit master slave mode, which is set to auto detect. And Speed and duplex which is set to auto negoitaite 

I do not know what that first one is but ill try chaning the second one and see if anything happens

Message 15 of 31
StephenB
Guru

I don't think it'll matter, but the manual setting for "gigabit master slave mode" would be slave.  If it makes no difference, set it back to auto-detect.  

Message 16 of 31
VE6CGX
Master

Instead of auto setting, manually set speed at 1Gb, duplex. Then see. In the device manager can you see manufacturer of the NIC card.

Even tho Windows says latest driver, you can check the manufacturer site to see if there is latest driver.

Message 17 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

I manually set duplex mode to the 1gb option. The computer did not even detect the ethernet cable pluged in. Tried power cyceling both pc and router still nothing, so switched it back to auto.

Message 18 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

So I went on intels site, there is a new driver. I downloaded it, and unziped it. Then instal wizard ran. Went through the whole proccess. It completed. Then checked back on device manager, and ethernet port still has same driver from last time.

Message 19 of 31
StephenB
Guru

On the driver: try rebooting the PC.

Overall: The common denominator in the testing is the PC, everything else seems to be working at 1 gigabit.  

I'm thinking this is most likely a marginal connection in the PC NIC port or possibly the cable.  Putting a gigabit switch between the router and the PC might work around the problem.  

Message 20 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

I was able to borrow a gigabit switch. I placed the computer into the switch and the router. The computer is still showing 100 connection while the router has the white light blinking instead of red where the switch is placed in.

Message 21 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@dbehremo wrote:

I was able to borrow a gigabit switch. I placed the computer into the switch and the router. The computer is still showing 100 connection while the router has the white light blinking instead of red where the switch is placed in.

If you swap the PC->switch cable with the switch->router cable, does anything change?

This is looking more and more like the PC NIC.  Perhaps try a second test connecting it directly to the cable modem.

Message 22 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

Connecting it directly with the cable modem gives me 1gb speeds, just tried it.

My cat5e cable is the only 15 ft cable I have so it is difficult to test out a different cable with the desktop. But I will try to figure something out. It was just strange that same cable gave me 1gb on my laptop.

Message 23 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@dbehremo wrote:

It was just strange that same cable gave me 1gb on my laptop.

What's strange is that the PC NIC connects at 100 mbits to both a gigabit switch and the R7000, but somehow manages 1 gbit with the cable modem.

Message 24 of 31
dbehremo
Tutor

I am beggining to suspect it is the cable

Maybe the laptop for some reason is always reading 1gb connection?

I just hooked up the cable in question from router to gigabit switch, and the connection on the router is blinking red.  When I connect the laptop to the switch, connection on laptop states its 1gb but when running a speed test, speeds do not go over 95mbps, however when connecting said laptop directly to router with another cable i get 118mbps.  

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7