× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX series IP reservations

tamefox
Aspirant

AX series IP reservations

Looking to purchase a Netgear RAX120 / AX12 or similar in the UK.
Can anyone please confirm :

1) Does this allow up to 64 reserved IP addresses in DHCP?

2) Do all AX series allow up to 64 reserved IP addresses?

3) Do the reserved IP addresses have to be in or out of the DHCP allocation range, or either?

( so reserved IP addresses can be seen in different range to dynamic 'tourists' etc)

4) Do the reservations on this or other models allow a user-defined name/description to be entered?

( screen shots on online help/manuals are conflicting on this).

Thanks

Message 1 of 7

You don't say, but have you checked the documentation for your options?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 7
tamefox
Aspirant

Yup, but thanks anyway.

All documentation is suitably vague and/or lacking in screenshots that give clues.....

Message 3 of 7

Many of these things have nothing to do with the models involved. They are down to the standards the brands use for their devices. After all, they all work on the basis of a limited choice of chipsets.

Rather than chase model details, try something like this:

AX series IP reservations - Google Search

As this is a standards thing, you may have to ignore the "AX" bit. That relates to the WiFi. Your question may have more to do with the rest of the router.

Message 4 of 7
tamefox
Aspirant

Thanks - had already tried that but may try again.

trouble is it turns up lots of forum crap from wishful thinkers, "I would image it's unlimited" etc.. ..really?

At least Linksys answered directly, and although you can theoretically have 253, their firmware on all their models limits it to 50.

- Which should be enough.

However, their routers all require the IP reservations to be within the DHCP range - which is not what I want.

My current router limits IP reservations to c30, but anywhere in the 253 IP range, regardless of the DHCP range.

So, one manufacturer decides:

DHCP range applies to anything, reserved or not.

whilst another decides :

DCHP reservation range is for sundry IP requests, but reserved IP's can have anything in the 253 range.

This is good for structuring device types into groups, for easy recognition when troubleshooting, aided further by the ability to name as suits you.

These three simple things make it easy to manage a busy home network or small business without resorting to the unnecessary overhead of network management tools with groups/sites etc overheads....

Message 5 of 7
tamefox
Aspirant

any more offers on this please?

Message 6 of 7
tamefox
Aspirant

Looking to purchase a Netgear RAX120 / AX12 or similar in the UK.

Anyone out there have any more info on these routers as per the above questions please?

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7