× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [BUG] RAX200 always chooses a random access between the domain name servers

molay
Tutor

[BUG] RAX200 always chooses a random access between the domain name servers

When there is a domain name that needs to be resolved, the RAX200 router always chooses a random access between the primary domain name server and the secondary domain name server, instead of accessing the primary domain name server first, and then accessing the secondary domain name server if the primary domain name server fails to access.

It will cause the self-built DNS of the intranet to fail, and the intranet domain name cannot be resolved.

I've experimented with bind9's logs and command line tools many times, and it's proven that the RAX200 router does have this problem.

At present, I can only choose not to fill in the secondary domain name server, but this will cause a hidden issue: if there is a problem with my intranet DNS, I will not be able to access Internet content.

My old devices (e.g. R7000, R8500) didn't have this problem.

Hope the firmware developers can fix this.

model: RAX200

firmware: V1.0.5.132_1.0.69

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 4
molay
Tutor

The RAX200 is a new device I just bought less than a week ago to replace my old Netgear device.

After the RAX200 was unpacked, I set up the network configuration through the setup wizard, including PPPoE dial-up, LAN static IP address, DNS server, etc., and upgraded to the latest firmware (released last September). Wireless and wired connections, as well as Internet access, are all working fine.

In my config, the primary DNS address points to the Raspberry Pi 4 (based on Bind9) that already has a LAN static IP. The secondary DNS address is set to 8.8.8.8.

After a week of use, I found that the RAX200 randomly selects the primary DNS and secondary DNS to resolve domain names, which often causes my intranet domain names to fail to resolve normally.

In order to find the problem, I set the primary DNS and secondary DNS to different LAN IPs with Bind9 turned on in the intranet, use commands to resolve the domain name through RAX200, and monitor the log output.

Eventually I found out that both the primary and secondary DNS were being accessed, seemingly randomly. Not sure why the RAX200 doesn't prefer primary DNS (maybe there is load balancing for DNS internally?), but it's a real problem.

I didn't have this problem with my old Netgear devices, so I hope the firmware developers of the RAX200 can check it out.

Thx.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be something to contact NG support about and let them know then:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation