× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't BLOCK my kid's access

DaVooD
Guide

Can't BLOCK my kid's access

I want to block access to my daughter's chromebook so she'll go to bed and then turn it on later after she's awake.  Or at least threaten her that I can do it.

I have turned on Access Control.  When I check the box next to her device then click the Block button, a dialog box Do you really want to block access to selected device(s) pops up and I click Ok.  Then the green Allowed next to her device quickly turns to a red Blocked.  But in about 3 seconds, the screen refreshes and the Blocked changes back to Allowed.  

I've contacted support and all they have to offer is 1) make sure your firmware is updated and 2) hard factory reset of router

I've checked and my firmware is up to date. I've already tried turning off router and also rebooted router.   I really really really would rather not do a hard factory reset and then reconfigure my router again.

I'm hoping someone out there has encountered this and could enlighten me and other future users who may havel this problem.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 34
plemans
Guru

Something you could try would be to re-install the firmware. Maybe something was corrupt in it. 

Also, try changing it via the browser and not the app.

worst case? Setup the guest wifi and give her access to that. (change the primary wifi's password) Then just turn the guest network on/off as needed. 

Message 2 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

How do I "reinstall" a firmware?  I currently have my router set to auto update.

Hmmmm... I like your other idea too about putting her over to guest network.  But I'd still like to know why the Blocking feature is screwed up.

Thanks for the options!  I appreciate you responding 🙂  Stay inside and be safe sir.

Message 3 of 34
plemans
Guru

@DaVooD wrote:

How do I "reinstall" a firmware?  I currently have my router set to auto update.------follow the manual update procedure from the manual. It tells you how to update. 

Hmmmm... I like your other idea too about putting her over to guest network.  But I'd still like to know why the Blocking feature is screwed up.-----if you were using the app, maybe it was just the app. Have you tried it through the browser? 

Thanks for the options!  I appreciate you responding 🙂  Stay inside and be safe sir.

Message 4 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

Hmmmm... does the manual tell you how to "downgrade" the firmware to a previous build?  I should be able to find the pdf manual.

I don't know about you, but I find their phone app spotty and most of time doens't work, that's why I really only use my pc. I open a Chrome browser window and login to routerlogin.net

I'm wondering now if I should just go ahead and do a hard factory reset as much as I hate to do it.  Just sucks that an expensive router like this has stupid little glitches like this.  Sigh... such is technology right?  This isn't enough to make me toss it in the bin and change brands, but it's close!

Message 5 of 34
plemans
Guru

downgrading follows the same install process as the manual firmware upgrade. but instead of selecting the newer firmware, you download the older firmware and install that. 

I'd have to agree that the app process is a bit bogus. we get most of our firmware issues/corruption from the app. 

If you do a factory reset, you can do a backup prior and re-install using that. the vast majority of the time, that works fine. Its just when the firmware changes really significantly (like the upgrades to netgear armor)

Message 6 of 34

@DaVooD wrote:

I should be able to find the pdf manual.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

As @plemans says, look for an explanation of how to manually apply new firmware.

Take your pick of firmware from the library that you will find on the above page.

Message 7 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

Thanks for ideas and replies!  You all have been great.  I'm going to try backing up like plemans suggested so I don't have to reconfig everything again and then do a hard reset.  Gotta do it now when everyone in the house is asleep and not online.  Wish me luck!

Message 8 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

Sigh.........

So so frustrated.  Just spent last 4 hours doing repeated hard resets of this router.  After each reset, it automatically updates to the current v1.0.3.62_1.0.1

Now when I select a device and tell it to Block it, the Allowed changes to Blocked and actually stays showing Blocked... BUT it's not blocking the device!!!!  The device still has internet access!

I'm this close to just throwing this pos in the trash and getting a different brand.  I'm so disappointed with this router right now.  I guess the next thing I have to try is to find the firmware before this and try to install that and see if it fixes.  IF that does, I will definitely seriously trash this router.  What's the use of using a router that doesn't work with the latest firmware.

I will try to "call" the live tech support since I still have it.  Bought this just in February 2020.  I dread calling them because I know I'll be on the phone for hours with someone who will tell me to do the troubleshooting I've been doing the last 4 hours.

I guess I'll have to do some googling as to what other wifi 6 routers are better.

Message 9 of 34
plemans
Guru

the newest firmware is 1.0.3.64. You can manually download and install it.

It has fixes for unable to block internet and random reboots. 

Message 10 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

@plemans wrote:

Hello again plemans.

I must be on a different planet maybe 🙂  but when I go to the support page for the RAX35, the latest firmware available for download is 1.0.3.62. 

Where do you see 1.0.3.64???

Message 11 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

@plemans wrote:

Oh you must've thought I had the Rax40?  I looked up the RAX40 support page and latest firmware for it is indeed 1.0.3.64 and the release notes mention that it fixes the block problem.  BUT I have the RAX35.  Can I install 3.64 manually to my RAX35???  I can see it now.  If I use an "unapproved" version for my router, it will crash it and probably void my warranty LOL

Message 12 of 34
plemans
Guru

Sorry. I did think you had the rax40. My bad. Don't install that
Message 13 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

@plemans wrote:
Sorry. I did think you had the rax40. My bad. Don't install that

So I'm guessing firmwares for RAX40 don't work with RAX35? LOL

I read the fixes for the RAX40 v1.0.3.64 and it specifically says (as you mentioned) that it fixes the Block issue.  So am I screwed since I have the RAX35?  Sigh.

It's obviously also a problem with the RAX35.  I can't believe that I'm the only person with this problem with my RAX35?!?

I'm reading up on the Amazon Eero routers... looks like that will be the one I'll be trying if I don't get this resolved soon.

Message 14 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

Quick sidebar question:

What's the difference between using a paperclip and pressing the tiny reset button in back of router for 7 seconds and

the Revert to Factory Default Settings under Advanced/Administration/Backup Settings when I'm in my router settings?

Message 15 of 34
plemans
Guru

I'm a bit surprised. there's not much difference between the RAX35 and RAX40. I'd think they'd have rolled those updates out already. 

there really isn't much difference in reset methods. Both tend to work well. one thing to check though is resetting only removes settings. If something was corrupt in the firmware, a re-install of the firmware is needed to recover it. 

Message 16 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

@plemans wrote:

I'm a bit surprised. there's not much difference between the RAX35 and RAX40. I'd think they'd have rolled those updates out already. 

there really isn't much difference in reset methods. Both tend to work well. one thing to check though is resetting only removes settings. If something was corrupt in the firmware, a re-install of the firmware is needed to recover it. 

I didn't think about the firmware being possibly corrupted so I just downloaded and reinstalled the same 1.0.3.62_1.0.1 and it's still not Blocking.  So frustrating.  So ridiculous.  Thanks for your help plemans.

Message 17 of 34
plemans
Guru

Not done yet 🙂

As sad as it is to say, try downgrading the firmware, factory resetting, and reinstall. Reason why I say this is that the RAX devices were pretty new and released prior to the AX spec even being finalized. so each version of the firmware fixed issues but potentially broke issues. Try downgrading a version to see if it helps. 

Message 18 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

Ok fine, let me try it your way and reset then install.  I'm pretty sure it still won't fix it, but I'll at least say I tried it.

I'd love to try a lower version firmware, but how the heck do I find it?  I've looked in support and when I type in model RAX35 it only gives me option to download the "latest" which is 1.0.3.62.  I have no other options.  Where is this "library" of older versions of firmwares I keep hearing about??!?!?  Sorry if I seem agitated.  It's just seriously frustrating dealing with tech.  Appreciate all your advice plemans! 

Message 19 of 34

@DaVooD wrote:

Where is this "library" of older versions of firmwares I keep hearing about??!?!? 

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

It will also have a firmware library and any drivers, if they exist, for your device.

Message 20 of 34
plemans
Guru

under the downloads section of the device firmware there's a "+view previous version"  click that. that'll have the old firmwares. 

Message 21 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

Ok I have done everything plemans and michael suggested. I have looked believe me and there are no plus, no libraries, no other versions.  I'm not being lazy.  Please go to the support page and see for yourself.  When I type in RAX35 and the page that pulls up, i have looked under firmware, no plus signs or other versions. I have looked under documentation, software downloads, no other versions.  If you can send me a direct link I would be flabbergasted.  But under the RAX35 page, https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rax35.aspx

I see no other previous versions.

Message 22 of 34
plemans
Guru

You're right. it must be the initial release.

@Christian_R Any idea if they plan on rolling the firmware upgrades in the RAX40 into the RAX35 firmware? 

Message 23 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

Thank you @plemans for confirming that I am not crazy 🙂

If Netgear isn't going to roll out the RAX40's firmware fix for the RAX35, I suggest that Netgear allows RAX35 owners who are having this problem to be able to send them our RAX35s and then Netgear sends us a RAX40 so we can apply the firmware patch! 🙂

Message 24 of 34
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @plemans & @DaVooD

Hope all is well!

I'll follow up with the product teams to see if there maybe a possible FW release for the RAX35. I'll update the thread as soon as I can. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 25 of 34
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7