× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't BLOCK my kid's access

Topology
Virtuoso

DaVooD, have you attempted to block a device by using the Nighthawk app on your mobile phone?  The option to pause/resume a device is displayed in the Device Manager.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 34

@DaVooD wrote:

Ok I have done everything plemans and michael suggested. I have looked believe me and there are no plus, no libraries, no other versions. 

Sorry about that. I was just passing on the usual advice on where to get firmware and assuming you'd find it there.

This is the first time that I have come across a router that has only the initial release. The usual pattern is that new firmware turns up almost before hardware reaches customers.

In this case, the manual says that it dates from September 2019. (Beta programmes have a habit of being rushed, with new devices released before they are ready.) I would have expected at least one new release since then. No hardware arrives completely bug free. You seem to have found one!

Is it too late to return this beast and get something that works?

Message 27 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

@Topology wrote:

DaVooD, have you attempted to block a device by using the Nighthawk app on your mobile phone?  The option to pause/resume a device is displayed in the Device Manager.

I have, but as I mentioned before, I found the app spotty in terms of how it was connecting to the router.  I was wondering if it mattered whether I was connecting thru wifi or remotely.  Either way, I think controlling and making changes natively, that is, connecting to the router via ethernet was the most reliable.  So that's how I've been doing my testing... hardwired into router via my laptop.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm still hoping and waiting for the RAX40 firmware to be released for my RAX35 so we can resolve this on my RAX35.

Message 28 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@DaVooD wrote:

Ok I have done everything plemans and michael suggested. I have looked believe me and there are no plus, no libraries, no other versions. 

[snip]

In this case, the manual says that it dates from September 2019. (Beta programmes have a habit of being rushed, with new devices released before they are ready.) I would have expected at least one new release since then. No hardware arrives completely bug free. You seem to have found one!

Is it too late to return this beast and get something that works?

I'm wondering the same thing too.  I purchased the RAX35 less than a year ago.  I wouldn't mind if Netgear sent me a RAX40 so I can use the firmware for it to fix it LOL

Message 29 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

@Christian_R wrote:

Hi @plemans & @DaVooD

Hope all is well!

I'll follow up with the product teams to see if there maybe a possible FW release for the RAX35. I'll update the thread as soon as I can. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Hello @Christian_R  just following up.  Do you happen to have a status on FW release for the RAX35?

Thank you sir! Be safe and healthy!

Message 30 of 34
Topology
Virtuoso

DaVooD, a possible solution to investigate is using the Circle Home Plus, a parental control device and app.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 31 of 34
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DaVooD, 

Our product teams are working on a FW for the RAX35 and we are expecting to have it released soon. Please stay tuned! 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 32 of 34
DaVooD
Guide

@plemans @michaelkenward @Christian_R 

I finally got around to logging back into RAX35 today and lo and behold it told me there was a firmware update!  Interestingly I have my RAX35 set to Enable to Auto update firmware so I'm wondering why it didn't automatically update?!?  

Anyway, I updated, router rebooted, and now I'm version 1.0.3.80_1.0.1 and the Blocking works!!!!  Next I'm going to reinstall the phone app and hope that works... it should.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

for all your time and help!  You have restored my faith in Netgear routers! 🙂

Message 33 of 34
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working!

Message 34 of 34
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation